Band marches into competition season

Dresden Bouman
Pictured here is the band’s drumline and Drum Majors Arwen Ikach and Nathan Sander. The members of the drumline are very close and are always very energetic during Friday night football games. This picture was taken during Trinity’s game against Peters High School.

After a grueling summer of rehearsing under the hot sun, the marching band is ready to perform their hearts out for the Trinity community. This year, however, the band’s season is looking a little different. For this season, the band is performing at competitions as a festival band, which means that they get scored but aren’t competing with other bands. Although the members miss competing, they are still glad to perform at competitions and watch other bands compete. This year, the band’s show is featuring the “Rick and Morty” theme song, “Toxic” by Britney Spears, and “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons. 

Over the summer, the band has prepared for this season with a two-week long band camp and a ton of extra practicing, from learning to conduct to perfecting their marching skills. They also participated in the Whiskey Rebellion Parade, The Juneteenth Parade, and the Fall Fantasy Parade at Kennywood. 

During the school year, in order to prepare for the football game performances and Saturday competitions, the band practices every Monday and Thursday after school. Even though the marching band lost 22 seniors last year, it made a comeback when 16 students joined this year.

Seniors Arwen Ikach and Nathan Sander were selected to be the band’s Drum Majors. Ikach has been a member of the band for five years, and was inspired to join by her older sister and her love for music. Sander has also been in the band for five years, and has always found the band and the music interesting. For Ikach, the most challenging song to conduct in their repertoire is the “Rick and Morty” theme song, but for Sander, it’s “Toxic.” Although these songs are difficult to conduct, the drum majors practice all the time and their hard work pays off.

To support the band, students can cheer loudly at football games and in pep assemblies. 

Pit member Jordan Keener encourages people to “come to football games or competitions and festivals.” 

In terms of joining the band, Rogan Cavanaugh urges, “Definitely do it. The marching band needs members and you get to meet so many people.” 

The marching band community is very close and joining is an excellent way to make new friends. Joining the marching band or anything in the music department can be fulfilling, and will act as a safe place and become a second family.

Students can support the Trinity Marching Band on October 14 at their competition at McKeesport High School and see them perform their show.