Cheerleading gets off to electric start

Photo courtesy of Eva Crim
Trinity High School’s varsity cheerleading team poses for a picture after the football team’s 49-0 win against North Catholic on Friday, November 3, 2023.

Like many high schools across America, Trinity High School relies on the enthusiasm and athleticism of its cheerleaders to spread school spirit and excitement throughout the school year. While the varsity cheerleaders are currently in the middle of their 2023-24 season, they have already had an exciting start and are looking forward to keeping up their hard work.

This season, the team has a large group with a total of twenty-eight girls. The group includes eight seniors, ten juniors and ten sophomores. The team’s captains are Seniors Kelsey Bishop, Timberly Gardner and Isabella Priest who have been cheering since they were young.

Priest and Bishop both got into the sport at their mothers’ urging but have come to appreciate the sport in their own way.

“I got into cheer when I was little. I started because my mom thought that it would be good for me and it ended up being a really good experience,” Priest says.

The girls practice every Monday and can be found performing at football and basketball games as well as pep rallies and assemblies.

Their most notable performance to date was the Homecoming pink out assembly. During the assembly, members of the team worked with Trinity High School teachers to create a dance routine to “Party in the U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus.

Sophomore Evangeline Crim says, “It was a lot of fun. I think some of the teachers were embarrassed to dance in front of everyone, but they ended up having fun. I know Mr. Polansky loved it.”

Although it can be difficult to master the dances, the team enjoys getting to perfect all of the little details. Bishop is proud of the team’s performances and their ability to understand instructions and perfect clean motions.

Bishop and Priest will both miss being a part of the team after graduation. Both girls have said that they are sad to be saying goodbye to being with their friends at practice, cheering at games, and helping out at cheer camps.

The future of the team is bright, however, as the sophomores and juniors look forward to welcoming new members to the team next year.

“I’m looking forward to getting to help the underclassmen next year. I think it will be nice to teach them what I know and help them adjust to the high school,” Crim says.

The varsity cheerleading team has had a great start to the season, and they are just getting started.