Trinity football team “heats up” 2023 football season

Photo courtesy of @KaVisuals and the THS football boosters Facebook page.
The football team posing for a picture after a big win! Although the team lost their second playoff game, the boys have had one of their best seasons yet with lots of accomplishments to be proud of. Great season, Hillers!

This season, the football team kept all of their fans on the edge of their seats. After winning the first playoff game and beating some of their rivals, Thomas Jefferson and Chartiers Valley, the boys did an admirable job at keeping the competition hot.

The team had a rigorous practice schedule, spending time practicing drills, plays and workouts Monday-Thursday from 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. and Sunday from 6:00 p.m.-8:15 p.m. on the field or in the athletic center. With all the time the team spent practicing, the boys kept close relationship on and off the field. 

“We practice so much we are just always together and that is how we stay so close as a team,” explained Senior Dante DeRubbo.

Now that the new athletic center is open, equipped with a updated weight room and field, this season the team had  the opportunity to practice whenever they needed to. Seniors DeRubbo and Tony Chiploetti commented that the new athletic center will be a big deal in years to come for all athletic teams, including the football team, because it will allow teams to work out and practice year round.

This season, the boys faced many challenges that they have come out of successful. One of these successes was beating Thomas Jefferson for the first time in 20 years with a score of 26-3. After a competitive game, students and fans rushed the field to congratulate the team and sing the Alma Mater with cheerleaders and football players. DeRubbo and Chipoletti recognize this as one of their favorite football memories. 

Turning the football organization into a winning program has been another one of the team’s biggest challenges this season. With hard work and countless hours of practice, the team made it to the playoffs and won the first round against North Catholic. During this game, Senior Braeden Helmcamp recalls his favorite memory, which was having two “sacks” in a playoff game. 

Although the team lost the second playoff game, they still kept an admirable mindset and showed their devotion to improve the program. According to DeRubbo, this was made possible by the hard work of the coaches and the cooperation and dedication from the team. 

With this being said, the team’s biggest challenges turned into their biggest accomplishments.

Football isn’t only about practicing and winning games; some of the players have said they have learned valuable life lessons from the sport. In countless situations, the team had to be resilient and play to the best of their ability. Being able to flip the switch and play their hardest, even in tough situations, has been one of the team’s most valuable lessons.

With the season coming to a close, this year has been one to remember. Seniors urge underclassmen to enjoy the last few years of being able to play Trinity football.

Chipoletti comments, “It goes by really fast. Enjoy every minute and take in every moment.”

Great season, boys! Hiller Nation, let’s ride!