Cross Country teams complete successful XC-iting season

This+years+cross+country+seniors+celebrate+an+amazing+season%21+Ava+Campman%2C+Kaylee+Foringer%2C+Maria+Giorgi%2C+Timberly+Gardner%2C+Ben+Papson+and+Noah+Davis+pose+in+front+of+their+senior+banners.+
Maria Giorgi
This year’s cross country seniors celebrate an amazing season! Ava Campman, Kaylee Foringer, Maria Giorgi, Timberly Gardner, Ben Papson and Noah Davis pose in front of their senior banners.

Trinity’s two cross country teams have finished their very eventful season with many accomplishments to brag about for years to come. 

The boys’ cross country team, led by Sophomore Andy Ciampa and Senior Ben Papson and coached by Mr. Zimak, has had many impressive wins. The boys climbed to the top in the county and finished at the top in many of their races. As they continue to build their skills, next year the team will shoot for qualifying for States.

“It [cross country] teaches you to work hard and to build your perseverance,” Ciampa comments. 

The girls’ cross country team, is led by Jim Fiallea and the captains are Seniors Kaylee Foringer, Maria Giorgi and Timberly Gardner. Each girl had many exciting wins.

This year’s seniors are Ava Campman, Giorgi, Foringer, Gardner, Papson and Noah Davis. Finishing off the season, they have left a hefty legacy for Trinity runners in the future with their record-breaking times and meaningful communication skills. They have inspired many of their teammates to do their best in all aspects of their lives, not just running. 

“I aspire to be like Ben Papson,” Sophomore Aaron Hunsberger states.

On October 6, 2023, the cross country teams dominated the Washington County championship. The boys pulled off an astonishing win with Freshman Devin Junko finishing second, Ciampa finishing fourth, Papson finishing fifth, Freshman Tyler Morgan finishing thirteenth and Sophomore John Garcia coming in at nineteenth place.  

The girls also won their section of the Washington County championship. Both Foringer and Junior Samantha Ciampa placed top 20. Foringer completed the race in sixth place and got All-County Laurels for her fourth time while Ciampa received her second All-County Laurels.

Cross country requires much dedication and the correct techniques. The team practices Monday through Friday for an hour and a half doing drills and other exercises to improve their endurance and technique.  Getting ready for the meets was also a top priority, figuring out which strategies work with each runner. Some listen to music or meditate to prepare to run their distance. 

Even though cross country is an individual sport, the runners inspire each other to push through the practices and meets. It is an example of how important teamwork and sportsmanship.

“That group of girls helped my growth. You wouldn’t think about how much community is in cross country, with it being an individual sport,” Captain Giorgi says.

Trinity’s cross country teams have had an amazing season, taking many victories and making memories. The season may have ended, but their accomplishments this year will last forever.