Trinity soccer “kicks off” new season

The+boys+soccer+team+is+off+to+a+great+start.+The+team+is+led+by+coaches+Al+Gestiehr%2C+Eric+Houghton%2C+Bill+Higgins+and+Alex+Nicolopolus.+
Photo courtesy of Tyler Johnson
The boys soccer team is off to a great start. The team is led by coaches Al Gestiehr, Eric Houghton, Bill Higgins and Alex Nicolopolus.

Football isn’t the only sport “kicking it” this season; soccer has also begun. The captains of the boys team are Seniors Matteo Lesako and Tyler Johnson. The boys team has a variety of older talent this year, with Seniors Jacob Jahn, Tucker Proudfit, Alex Ausher, Peyton Miller, Josh Lent and Faiden Hodgson on the team.

Johnson said that his favorite part of soccer is playing with his teammates who have become his close friends. 

They have been working hard to prepare the team for their season ahead. The boys are on track to their goal of winning a playoff game with their current record of 5-3. 

The girls have also been working very hard this season; with their tough competitors, they have a current record of 0-12. The captains, Seniors Ruby Morgan and Brooke Mitchell and Junior Abby Higgins are working hard to better their team for the rest of the season. The seniors on the girls team are Morgan, Mitchell, and Hanna Stedman. 

The girl’s team has always been close, which can be observed by how they play together on the field. 

They have a unique tradition that brings the girls together; the upperclassmen choose a name out of a hat to find out who their underclassman buddy will be for the school year. Together, the pair buys each other their favorite snacks and drinks to bring to games as a gift.

This tradition has become a staple of the season and something that all of the girls have enjoyed. 

The girl’s biggest competition this year is Moon High School and they are preparing for the important game by practicing three days a week to better their skills. The boy’s biggest competition this year is Bethel Park and Thomas Jefferson High School; the boys also practice multiple times a week to improve their skills so they are ready to play against these tough schools. 

Stedman said, “My advice for players is to play every game like it’s your last. Also, yes you are going to make mistakes and have bad games or bad practices, but don’t let it affect you in the long run.  Always remember, tomorrow is a new day and just keep working hard. I always say ‘don’t tell people your plans, instead show them your results.’”

Practices look very similar for both boy’s and girl’s teams. Practice begins with stretching and continues lessons with dynamics passing, drills and sometimes a scrimmage. Both the boy’s and girl’s team are working hard this season and would love to see some support. The girl’s next game is an away game on Monday, October 2 at Chartiers Valley and the boy’s is a home game on Tuesday, October 3 against Thomas Jefferson.

Sophomore Nathan Jones, a player on the team states, “It is never too late to start a sport, just try it!” 

Both teams have advised anyone interested in trying out soccer to contact the captains.