Staying in touch with family during COVID-19

Whether people enjoy technology or not, there is no denying that cell phones have become the main source of communication recently.

Image accessed via Google Images

This year, COVID-19 has affected the world in ways no one ever saw coming. Students from Washington and all around the world have had to take different approaches to stay in touch with their families during the pandemic. While people are unsure of when they can go back to their normal communication, they have definitely adapted to the situation.

In 2020, many teenagers in America have access to some type of technology to stay in touch with family. With relatives from all around the world, families are able to communicate with just a phone call or text message. 

“Some of my grandparents are really bad with it [technology]  and don’t understand how to text,” says Sophomore Chloe Findle.

Although older generations do not have much experience with technology, students have started to improvise and write letters to loved ones in order to stay in touch. 

When it comes to modern day technology such as social media, texting and video chats, it is easier than ever to connect and communicate with family members. There are people, however, that still miss the personal touch of seeing their families in person. 

“I couldn’t visit my brother and his family in York, PA, this summer, like I do every other year,” says English teacher Ms. Denman. 

During the school year, students feel busy and overwhelmed as it is, but they have been setting aside time to connect and stay in touch with loved ones. 

“I always stay in touch with family because they are all you have,” states Junior Grace Hopper.

Families are scattered around the world, and it can be challenging to get the personal experience of an in person conversation.

While nobody is certain what will happen in the future, it is clear to see that the students and staff of Trinity will be taking the extra steps to stay in touch with family.