Homecoming 2020: staying apart but coming together

Christa Malinak

Members of the Senior Homecoming Court smiled for a picture on the Hiller field before the ceremony began.

As the leaves tumble down, football fans unite, and the temperature drops, many high school students have one thing on their mind during this season: homecoming. This year, Trinity has elected not to have a fall formal due to COVID-19. However, Trinity decided to continue the long-standing tradition of announcing a homecoming court and a homecoming queen. 

The homecoming queen was crowned on October 14 at the middle school football field. Typically, each girl on the homecoming court is escorted by a male from her class. But, in an effort to maintain distance this year, the girls did not have any escorts, and they attended alone.

This year’s court consisted of Freshmen Agatha Niccolai and Carolyn Proudfit; Sophomores Alyssa Burtoft and Carys Miller; Juniors Meghan Artuso and Balie Beck; and Seniors Natalie Crum, Joie Engle, Madyson Frazee, Madison Lorenzo, Emma Malinak, Jade Miller, Lucie Towers and Kaylin Venick.

Prior to October 14, students in each grade voted on who would represent their class in the homecoming court, and seniors voted for the homecoming queen.

After much anticipation, The Hiller Newspaper’s very own Emma Malinak was proclaimed the homecoming queen!

Following her win, Malinak explained that, “The win was completely unexpected, and I am so grateful to represent Trinity tradition and be on the court with so many amazing young women! To be recognized as a queen who has worked hard, given back to the school and community, and been authentic and kind throughout four years of high school is the highest honor. I hope that I can be a role model to other students, showing that it is 100% okay to be 100% who you are!”

Malinak also wishes to thank Mrs. Frazee, Mrs. Thornburg, Mr. Rich and Coach McConnell-Miller for their parts in making the ceremony happen.

Those interested in watching the ceremony can find it available on the Trinity High School athletics page. The link is located under the title “Homecoming 2020.”

Congratulations to all of the girls on this year’s homecoming court!