Trinity celebrates 100 years of excellence

Photo courtesy of Charlotte Magon
Old Main, home of Trinity High School administrative offices, is a well-known landmark in Washington County. Old Main originally started as a personal residence in the 1850s for Joseph McKnight.

Trinity High School is anything but ordinary with its extensive history and astounding innovation. This year, Trinity is celebrating an incredible achievement: the 100th graduating class. Over the years, Trinity has evolved into the school we know today. 

Trinity started as “Trinity Hall” in 1879 as a military school for boys. This school was largely religious with a priest acting as a “father” over the school. Trinity Hall attracted many members of famous regional families, including Heinz, Carnegie and LeMoyne. Trinity Hall closed in 1906 and sat vacant for nearly two decades. 

Trinity High School was officially founded in 1925. From then on, Trinity has expanded and flourished in many ways.

Mrs. Pegram, the building secretary, graduated from Trinity in 2001. After her time in Trinity, she attended Gateway Community College. 

Pegram has still found ways to stay involved in the Trinity community; she says, “I have held offices in several booster clubs from Band Parent President to JROTC treasurer. I will help out any club, student or teacher that may need my help. This is my 12th year as an employee. My kids are 4th generation Trinity graduates.”

Trinity High School serves as an outlet for students’ futures. The school offers 20 Advanced Placement classes that allow students to grow their education and prepare them for a college career. 

Along with that, Trinity High School offers a wide variety of elective classes that help students find their interests and gain professional skills that can be applied to everyday life. 

Mrs. Migyanko, the Finance teacher, graduated from Trinity in 1997. After her time at Trinity, she attended W&J with a major in Accounting and a minor in Psychology. She later obtained her Master’s degree and teacher’s Certification from Robert Morris.  

Migyanko says, “There are so many unique classes that we offer…Forensics, Floral Design, Vet Tech, Sports Medicine, and the list goes on! I am proud of the educational opportunities that Trinity offers.”

Trinity’s halls have fostered years of fond memories for alumni. With 36 clubs and counting, Trinity’s social environment promotes exciting and inclusive opportunities for students to create lifelong memories and friendships.

“I was in the Marching Band so many of my memories revolve around the band. However, I guess I would have to say my absolute favorite was participating in the Bands of America Competition at WVU,” Pegram mentions. 

All of Trinity’s developments have made for an advantageous learning environment that promotes education and inclusivity. With the addition of the Media Center, The Hiller Vault and The Hiller Cafe, Trinity has evolved into a place encouraging teamwork and diligence.

On June 7, 2024, Trinity will celebrate its 100th graduating class. Trinity is not only celebrating the class of 2024 but also the previous and future classes to walk through its halls and all they have or will achieve.