Trinity baseball steps up to plate

The+boys+left+for+Myrtle+Beach+on+March+15th%2C+for+spring+training.+While+there%2C+they+played+on+the+Coastal+Carolina+University+baseball+field%2C+and+got+to+soak+up+some+sun+rays%21+
Photo Courtesy of Jonah Williamson
The boys left for Myrtle Beach on March 15th, for spring training. While there, they played on the Coastal Carolina University baseball field, and got to soak up some sun rays!

Baseball season is coming in hot and the Trinity boys’ baseball team is gearing up for an exciting season. The shared goal between all of the players is to qualify for the WPIAL title this year, so the team is ready to put in their best effort.

“Our goal is to make WPIALs and win it,” Junior Matthew Hartley says. 

The selection for team members is a rigorous couple of days, consisting of a final assessment of their hitting, throwing and speed skills. The selected players are sorted into junior varsity and varsity teams. This season’s tryouts were on March 4, 2024. 

After tryouts are over, the players start practicing every week Monday through Saturday. The practice sessions are focused on bettering the players batting, throwing, running and catching skills. 

In addition to gameplay skills, the players are expected to work on their communication and sportsmanship. This season’s success is based on how well they work as a team. 

The seniors of the team are Tyler Johnson, Braedon Helmkamp, Gibson Havanis, Logan Daniels, Tyler Hulbert, Cole Carl, Luke Lacock and Cameron Schofield. This season’s team captains are Matthew Robaugh, Kaden Hathaway, Helmkamp and Carl. 

The team is coached by head coach John Stack, assistant coach Jason Vankirk and assistant coach Steve Polansky. 

The baseball team left for Myrtle Beach on March 15th, where they will participate in spring training to learn to communicate as a team while also improving their skills individually.

The season officially kicks off on March 22, 2024, with the first official home game being against Baldwin High School, on the W&J baseball field at 4 p.m. Other significant games are played against Upper Saint Clair, Thomas Jefferson and Peters Township. 

Fans of the baseball team can show their support and love in multiple ways, such as participating in the dine-to-donate fundraisers that the team hosts. Love can also always be shown by cheering in the stands and watching all of the boys’ hard work in action. 

“Let’s go Hillers! Make sure you guys come out and watch this great team make a run! Let’s get the hooligans out!” Sophomore Derek Falvo comments.