Ready, set, serve: Trinity boys tennis team begin season

Photo courtesy of Kaden Smith
The boys are busy preparing for a successful season of tennis. Senior captain Ethan Clawson and Sophomore Everett Luzar engage in a riveting match against tough competitors. Be sure to come watch their next home match on April 2 at Trinity West.

The boys tennis season has just begun. The team is preparing for a successful season by practicing on any day that they don’t have a match, which is typically two to three times a week. During practice, they work on groundstrokes, volleys, serves and practice matchplay. According to Coach Finley, practice tends to be a lot of running and picking up tennis balls! The boys practice at Trinity West on the tennis courts and are coached by Coach Finley, Coach Merich and Coach Stoner. 

The seniors and captains on the team are Ethan Clawson, Alex Ausher and Chase Stephens. These captains are ready to lead their team this year so they have a productive season. 

Clawson says his goals for the team are “to play the best we possibly can and to bring our best game to the court. We really push ourselves during practice so we can be successful during game time.”

Their goal for the season is to continuously push themselves to become better athletes and tennis players and, of course, to have fun.

The team this year is relatively young, with many underclassmen and first-year players. The captains and coaches are planning to work on the basics in order to build a strong foundation for the future seasons. 

Finley said, “My biggest advice to the team would be for them to get out and play tennis as much as they possibly can. Stay after matches and practices to continue playing and to go out on the weekends and play!”

She enjoys teaching tennis because it is a lifelong sport and can be played by all ages and skill levels. She believes that tennis is a great workout for anybody wanting to get their bodies moving in a productive way. 

As the season progresses, Trinity is looking forward to seeing what the team is capable of this year. 

Clawson ends with, “The people really make the [tennis] experience. I love playing the game, but a huge part of my love for tennis is my teammates.”