WWCD?

Going+outside+in+the+cold+is+known+for+being+refreshing%2C+especially+when+listening+to+music+or+listening+to+the+sounds+of+nature.+
Photo Courtesy of Dresden Bouman
Going outside in the cold is known for being refreshing, especially when listening to music or listening to the sounds of nature.

Seasonal depression or seasonal affective disorder (SAD), affects millions of people worldwide as the days grow shorter and colder. The winter months can bring a range of emotional and physical challenges, and unfortunately, many deal with this. However, there are strategies that can help make this winter season not so harsh, mentally. 

With less sunlight during winter, it’s crucial to maximize exposure to natural light. Spend time outdoors during daylight hours, open curtains to let sunlight in and position yourself near windows when indoors. Light therapy can also be effective in boosting mood and morale.

Physical activity is known to release endorphins, improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression. Engaging in exercise or activities, whether it’s a walk, dance rehearsal or any activity you enjoy, can have a positive impact on mental well-being.

Sleep is crucial for mental health. Aim for a consistent sleep schedule, ensuring to get enough rest each night. Create a relaxing bedtime routine, avoid electronic devices before bed and create a sleep-friendly environment by keeping the bedroom dark, quiet and at a comfortable temperature.

Isolation can worsen symptoms of seasonal depression. Make an effort to maintain social connections by reaching out to friends and loved ones, even if it’s by virtual means. Joining groups or engaging in activities that interest you can also provide a sense of belonging and support during challenging times. 

Get involved! If you struggle every year around this time, get into a stress free activity such as a youth group or a book club.

If symptoms of seasonal depression persist or become overwhelming, seek professional help. Remember that you are not alone and that mental health professionals can provide guidance and support.

My last and favorite way to deal with sadness is to romanticize it! Listen to sad music such as Noah Kahan or Boygenius who write relatable music. By doing this, you are realizing that you truly are not alone.

Remember, everyone’s experience with seasonal depression is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. It’s essential to find a combination of strategies that resonate with you and your needs. 

While seasonal depression can be challenging, it’s important to remember that brighter days are ahead. By implementing these strategies and seeking support when needed, you can navigate the winter blues and emerge stronger, healthier and more resilient.