Sibling duos take sports industry by storm

Travis+%28left%29+and+Jason+Kelce+%28right%29+share+a+hug+after+the+Kansas+City+Chiefs+Superbowl+win+in+2023.+
This image was accessed via the nflonprime Instagram
Travis (left) and Jason Kelce (right) share a hug after the Kansas City Chiefs Superbowl win in 2023.

In the years leading up to 2023, siblings have began to take over the sports industry. Across the country, family members are competing with or against each other at all levels of the sports industry, from high school to college to professional leagues.

Locally, Trinity High School’s cheerleading team includes sisters Taylor and Morgan Layhue. These sisters have been cheering since Taylor Layhue was in second grade and Morgan Layhue was in first. 

Being on the team together has brought them closer together as they get to spend time together at practice and games.

“It’s fun to have someone to talk to at practices aside from my friends,” Morgan Layhue says.

The girls are also on the track team together and enjoy driving around to enjoy each other’s company. 

At the collegiate level, the Michigan Wolverines ice hockey team has welcomed sophomore Tyler Duke for the 2023-2024 season. Duke joined the team after playing for their rival Ohio State the previous season. Now, as a Wolverine, Tyler Duke is now able to play with his older brother, Dylan. 

Going from rivals to teammates has allowed the brothers to spend more time together, which was an important factor in Tyler Duke’s decision to transfer.

The NHL’s Tampa Bay Lighting reports that at development camp Tyler Duke said, “I just felt it was the best decision for me and my family. To be able to play with my brother in college, that’s something really special. Not many guys get the chance to do that.”

Another sibling duo in the sports industry that has recently captivated viewers nationwide is the NFL’s Kelce brothers. Travis and Jason Kelce played against each other in the 2023 Superbowl for the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, respectively.

Aside from their time spent competing on the field, the brothers also run a podcast called “New Heights,” on which they discuss their lives, news and sports.

On this podcast, Travis Kelce says, “I just enjoy being in the NFL with you, let alone when we actually get to share the field. It brings all of our family, all of our friends, together to watch one game. Outside of the score at the end, I know all the family, and I know I definitely have fun in every single game that we’ve ever played.” 

2023 is clearly an important time for siblings in the sports industry and the growth of these relationships is sure to be interesting to see.