Girls softball prepares for upcoming season

Photo courtesy of Ms. Hott

Pictured above is the entire Varsity softball team at their team picture day; underclassmen are in blue and seniors are in white.

The Girls’ Varsity Softball team has been hard at work; their season officially started with their first home game, March 31, 2022, winning 11-1 against South Fayette. The girls are projected to play a total of 20 games and two scrimmages this season. 

The seniors are Alyssa Rager, a catcher going to Waynesburg University; Reagan Miller, 3rd baseman going to Flagler College; and Megan Marling, designated hitter going to St. Vincent College. All three seniors are the captains and are moving onto softball at the collegiate level after this season. 

Assistant Coach Mr. Daloia states, “Trinity Softball is expecting big things this season!  Alyssa Rager leads a very powerful lineup (batting over .650) that includes all three seniors and is backed by a very talented junior class.  Taylor Dunn is dominating teams on the mound so far this year averaging six strikeouts a game. Dunn is backed up in the infield by talented defensive players Kristina Bozek, Addison Agnew and Madison Argo.” 

The coaches and assistants who help with the team are head coach Shawn Gray, Ryan Daloia, Mike Marino and Stacey McCoullough.

Recently, the girls left on March 24 to take their spring training trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The purpose of spring training is to get prepared for the season, get to know everyone on the team, and for the coaches to evaluate the players and have a good bonding experience before the start of the season. While in Tennessee, the girls played five games, finishing with a record of 4-1. They returned on March 29. 

The team began workouts in January, focusing on hitting this year. Practice has been held every weekday since March 7. This hard work has paid off as shown in Tennessee; the varsity outscored their opponents 60-12, averaging 12 runs a game. The girls have been working very hard in hopes of defeating their biggest rivals this season, Chartiers Valley and West Allegheny.

Daloia states, “The outfield is full of college level talent in Amber Morgan, Ryleigh Hoy and Mirranda Rinehart.  Hoy and Morgan are dominant left handed batters that lead off the lineup, both batting above 500 so far this year.  The Hillers also have other contributors to the lineup, including a couple of big hitting sophomores, Emily Hasson and Finley Hohn. Madison Miller is a talented sophomore pitcher that is the closer for the Hillers on the mound.”

Hasson talks about what she loves most about Trinity softball: “I love that I have a second family. We spend so much time together at practices, games, etc. Everyday I look forward to going to practice”.

The next game is away on April 13, against Upper St. Clair High School at Boyce Mayfield Park Recreation Center at 7:00 p.m.The Girls Varsity Softball team has a fantastic season ahead of them; students can show support by coming to the games to cheer them on!