Remembering television icon Betty White

This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License.

Betty White wore this sparkling number at the 1989 Emmy Awards! She received eight Emmy Awards in her time, including the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015.

In the final hours of 2021, the world received news of one last tragedy: the passing of television icon Betty White just three weeks shy of her 100th birthday. White got her start in Hollywood in the 1940s, and her nearly eighty-year career made her a household name and beloved part of television and film.

White was born in Oak Park, Illinois, on January 17, 1922, but she was raised in Los Angeles. Her acting career began when she attended Beverly Hills High School where she participated in numerous student productions. White was also the writer and star of her class’ 1939 graduation play.

According to IMDb, White has upwards of 120 acting credits to her name. She is best known for her comedic roles, including her portrayal of Sue Ann Nivens on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” in the ‘70s and Rose Nylund on “The Golden Girls” in the ‘80s and ‘90s. She was also the host of “The Betty White Show,” which aired on NBC in 1954 and CBS in 1977 and 1978.

In addition to her expansive television career, White was a known philanthropist with an affinity for animal welfare. In the early 1970s, she produced and starred in her own show titled “Pet Set,” which featured celebrities and their own pets. She spent time and money working with various humane funds, and she was honored by the Los Angeles Zoo as an “ambassador to the animals” to commend these efforts.

White is known for the wide range of characters she starred as, but her most unexpected role came in 2010 when she hosted the Mother’s Day episode of “Saturday Night Live.” This unanticipated moment of her career came after a large social-media campaign, and her humor and wit in the night’s sketches gave SNL the highest ratings it had seen in almost two years.

To celebrate and commemorate the life of White, Trinity choir director Mr. Komula has chosen for his students to sing the theme song of “The Golden Girls,” of which White was a star. During each year’s spring choir concert, students participate in a tribute to the group’s seniors with an uplifting number. When the news of White’s passing came out, Komula immediately searched for a version of the song.

“I grew up with [‘The Golden Girls’]. I liked the idea of this song to not only celebrate Betty White, but also the past, present and future of our choir,” says Komula.

Upon hearing that they would be singing “The Golden Girls” theme song, Komula’s students immediately had positive reactions. 

“While it is a sad reminder that she is not with us anymore, I’m really excited to sing something so meaningful to celebrate Betty White,” says Emma Bowman, Junior choir member. 

As fans of White’s, it is important to remember the themes of kindness and joy that she spread throughout her life. In White’s own words, “Kindness and consideration of somebody besides yourself keeps you feeling young.” The best way to remember the life and legacy of this wonderful icon is to treat people with compassion and “think like Betty.”