Students perform at PMEA

Trinity+orchestra+students+gather+for+a+photo+before+the+PMEA+District+1+orchestra+concert.+The+concert+took+place+on+January+15+in+Pittsburgh.+

Daniel Hilty

Trinity orchestra students gather for a photo before the PMEA District 1 orchestra concert. The concert took place on January 15 in Pittsburgh.

The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) is a Pennsylvania nonprofit which offers a series of competitive concert opportunities to band, orchestra and choir students. Throughout January and February, PMEA will be hosting its district-level concerts. 

Pennsylvania is divided into 12 districts, with Washington falling in District 1. Trinity students are excited to perform with students from Greene, Fayette, Westmoreland and Allegheny counties, also in District 1.  

To participate in each festival, whether it be at the district, region or all-state level, students must audition. Pieces are provided in advance for interested students that they must learn individually and perform to a panel of judges. Many hours are dedicated to learning and perfecting these pieces. 

PMEA Orchestra participating Junior Brett Phillips stated, “Personally, I spend a lot of time practicing. At least 20 hours for auditions; it’s not easy.”

Once students audition and are given a chair placement, they receive the repertoire for the upcoming festival performance. There are two full group rehearsals before the performance, lasting eight hours each. The rest of the preparation must be done individually or in student-formed groups. 

Music teachers from each participating school are responsible for coordinating with PMEA in order to give students an opportunity to audition. Middle school students are able to participate in Junior PMEA before entering high school, which is how many current participants were introduced to PMEA. 

Even though music students have the opportunity to audition in every year of high school, seniority has no impact on the audition process. Judges have no information about the student auditioning; they simply base their decision on the student’s ability to perform the audition piece. 

The PMEA festivals allow high level music students to play with others of a similar level. Only dedicated students will make it through the audition process, so those that are able to perform are often passionate about music. 

The District 1 band, orchestra and chorus concerts will take place on January 15, January 29 and February 11, respectively. More information about the festivals can be found on the PMEA District 1 website.