Senior staff profile: Kylie Poland

This photo was provided courtesy of Kylie Poland

Poland looks forward to working towards her master’s degree from Duquesne University. Go Dukes!

1. What is your current position on the Hiller staff?

I currently hold the position of Co-Hiller High Fives Editor

2. When and why did you join the Hiller staff?

I joined the Hiller staff at the beginning of this year after getting a taste of what it was like in Journalism I last year. It really set the tone for me; I can remember Mrs. O’Lare asking me one time if I would like to join the Hiller staff, and I got so excited and it was impossible to say no!

3. What is your favorite memory from your time on the Hiller?

Though I have only been a part of the Hiller for only a year, I really liked how we all overcame the struggles that COVID-19 brought forth this school year and [I] managed to have nine, going on ten, successful articles.

4. What will you miss most about the Hiller and why?

Honestly, I will miss the atmosphere. Everyone is so kind-hearted and enthusiastic, it creates an awesome working environment

5. What is your favorite article that you wrote?

My favorite article that I wrote would have to be the article I wrote about scholarships [“Looking for scholarships?” February 2021 issue]. It helped me learn more about them and ironically enough, I applied for some while I was writing the article

6. What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I plan on attending Duquesne University where I will major in early childhood education K-4 and get my master’s degree in special education.

7. What was your favorite topic to cover for the newspaper?

My favorite topic to cover would have to be any opinion-related article.

8. If you could live as any character from any book, who would it be and why?

I would like to live as Tris Prior, from the Divergent trilogy. She is very brave, smart, and hard-headed, yet sensitive, supportive and forgiving at the same time.

9. What do you think is the most important thing (or things!) you learned from your time writing for the school newspaper?

I’ve learned that the staff as a whole is very supportive and acts as sort of a school family. I also have learned that mistakes are meant to be made. Looking at my articles from the beginning of the year until now, I can see various improvements due to mistakes being made.

10. What advice do you have for the underclassmen on the Hiller staff and anyone else who is interested in exploring journalism?

If you are not [already] part of the Hiller staff [or] journalism, do it! It is a great opportunity to meet new people and it’s a safe space to be yourself and get as creative as you’d like with your writing. Underclassman who are already a part of the Hiller staff should definitely stick with it! Journalism will continue to broaden your horizons and possibly open up some doors for you in the future.

11. Do you have anything else to add?

I had a really great experience being a part of the Hiller staff. I would like to thank everyone for an amazing year and ten successful issues. Mrs. O’Lare is the most courageous teacher and an even better mother, to both her students and her children at home. This makes being a part of the Hiller much more personal and creates an overall wonderful working environment. I wish everyone the best!