Trinity softball hunts for another WPIAL championship

This image was accessed via the HillerSoftball Twitter account
The Trinity Hillers work hard year-round to stay in shape for softball. They hope this hard work will pay off with another WPIAL championship.

Sports are the building blocks of community at Trinity High School. Joining a team means gaining new family and there is no better example of this than the Trinity High School softball team. The 2024 season is just starting, but the Trinity softball field is already full of heart, determination and friendship.

After last season’s WPIAL championship, the team is prepared to put in the work to stay on top. According to Coach Daloia, the team is looking to win their section, earn another WPIAL championship and then make a run for a State title. 

They practice year round to achieve these goals. Beginning in September, the team has practices twice a week after any travel seasons are over. Following those practices, the team spent this winter working out with Coach Rizor at the new athletic facility at Trinity Middle School. 

As the weather improves, they move to the softball field where they practice every week day from 3:15 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. These practices are run by the highly-qualified coaches, all of whom have either played at a Division I level or mentored a player who has. This elite coaching staff works to push the girls to excel at softball. 

The team begins with stretches, then moves on to throwing practice and, finally they break off to practice their individual skills for their positions. The break off sessions are heavily structured and focused on simulating the training of the top Division I softball teams in the nation.

The dedication from these players to their sport has shaped them into the women they are today.

Senior Captain Finley Hohn says, “Softball honestly has everything to do with who I am today. I started playing when I was six, making this my 12th year playing softball, so not only my personal development, but my character as a person, player, teammate and now captain have drastically changed in the best way possible. Softball taught me patience, discipline, drive, etc. and I know I wouldn’t be the same person I am today without it.”

Hohn and her fellow seniors, Charlotte Magon and Emily Hasson, have become the center of this team. They serve as role models and mentors to the younger players, aiming to prepare them to take over the team after they graduate.

The copious amount of time spent practicing together brings the girls closer together as teammates and as friends, making the graduation of the seniors a sad event. 

“The seniors always show their love and appreciation towards the team. We are a family. So once senior night and the end of the season comes along, it will be bittersweet to let them go,” says Sophomore Samantha Bruno.

Despite the inevitable end of the current era of Hiller softball, the program still has a strong future. The mentorship of the gifted seniors and coaches has prepared a new generation of Trinity softball players to take on the legacy.

“We have a ton of talent in our program and in our feeder system at the middle school and youth levels. With all of the district’s state of the art facilities and the addition of Coach Rizor as our strength and conditioning coach, Trinity’s athletic programs have a really bright future. A huge thank you to everything our administration and school board have done for our student athletes,” says Coach Ryan Daloia.

Before the seniors hand over the team they still have plenty of work to do to achieve their goals for the season. Anyone interested in seeing this hard work on display can see the Hillers in action starting in April with games two to three times a week.