Trinity boys wrestling “pins” down WPIAL championship

Trinity+students+lined+the+high+school+hallways+to+wish+the+team+luck+for+the+State+matches+in+Hershey.+The+team+poses+for+a+photo+as+they+board+the+bus+to+leave.+
Photo Courtesy of Dresden Bouman.
Trinity students lined the high school hallways to wish the team luck for the State matches in Hershey. The team poses for a photo as they board the bus to leave.

The boys’ varsity wrestling team has had a victorious season, with a 7-2 record and the opportunity to go to States in Hershey for the first time in 22 years. 

The team, coached by Mr. Reihner, Mr. Tarquinio and Mr. Migyanko made their way to States after a thrilling match against Bethel Park in the semifinals of the WPIAL Class 3A Team Tournament.

The team qualified for states by finishing second in the WPIAL. In their State-run, the Hillers faced teams from Selinsgrove, Bethlehem Catholic and LaSalle College. In the end, the Hillers lost  to the top team Connellsville in the WPIAL Team States tournament. 

Mr. Rehiner mentions, “The boys exceeded what expectations were set for them.” 

Many Trinity wrestlers work year-round to maintain good technique for matches and the anticipated season. Their hard work continues in season where they practice every day. 

Mr. Reihner states, “Practices involves warm-ups, stretching, drilling previously learned technique, learning new techniques and live wrestling.” 

The team’s match portion of the season is almost over, but the individual post-season will be in full swing by the end of February.

The individual section tournament took place on Saturday, February 24. The top 6 team members that qualify, will go to WPIAL sections, on March 1 and 2. The top 4 sectional qualifiers will go to States on March 7, 8 and 9. 

Morgan says, “We are pushing to have multiple individual State placers this year.” 

The team’s hard work and determination to accomplish their goals this season relies on their persistent training.

Morgan states, “Everything relies on your training and how much work you put into it and it also teaches you how to work hard and sets you up for a successful future.” 

Make sure to cheer on the boy’s wrestling team as they make their way to the individuals! Go Hillers!