Girls’ wrestling takes WPIAL schools by storm

The Trinity Hillers are proud to support their girls’ wrestling team in their first full season. These girls are in the process of making Trinity High School history.
Photo Courtesy of Trudy Roney

Trinity High School’s girls’ wrestling has kicked off their first full season as an official team after their formation last year. They are off to a strong start with a record of 4-1 in their dual matches. This impressive record has earned them a 4th place spot in WPIAL girls’ wrestling rankings.

This ranking has been earned through the hard work and dedication of the athletes on the team. The girls practice every weekday after school to prepare for their matches. These practices consist of warm ups, wrestling drills, instruction on new moves, live wrestling and conditioning. In addition to their after school practices, the team also has about two practices a week with Coach Rizor consisting of lifting and running.

The team has bonded over their efforts to make history and grow the sport. Sophomore Alexia Ashby and Senior Captain Nila Bland are proud of the team’s accomplishments and believe that the sport won’t stop growing anytime soon. This mentality has brought the teammates closer together and formed lasting friendships.

Ashby says, “The team is really close. Our coaches always tell us to act like a family and we take that seriously.”

Coaches and wrestlers alike hope to use this program to help girls grow as individuals. They have found that being a part of the program is rewarding mentally, physically and emotionally for all parties.

“We are a team on a path to make history. Let us know if you want to join our wrestling family,” says Head Coach Grant Lowther. 

He encourages interested parties to reach out to Senior Captains Bland or Kenzie Phasupong with any questions.

Girls’ wrestling has already began making improvements to the lives of members of the Trinity community with the lessons it is teaching members of the organization.

“I personally have learned that just because one thing does not work out in your life, it is okay to go out and try something else! Losing gymnastics was very hard for me, but getting to wrestle and create a new mentality with it, plus, getting a fresh start has changed my life. I have also learned how to be a better leader, bring girls together, and make our team feel like a family,” says Bland.

With the team’s recent formation, everyone is learning together, allowing for a supportive and welcoming team environment. Coaches and team members truly believe that wrestling is for everyone and no one should be afraid to try something new. 

Show up and support the team at their next home match on February 6 at 7:30!