Swim team splashes into ‘23-‘24 season

The ‘23-’24 swim season began for the team in November and will continue through the end of February. The swimmers pictured above are (L-R beginning at the front) Paige Schott, Caroline Miller, Izzy Likar, Cameron Street, Erin Dunn, Milena Hrutkay, Avery O’Sullivan, Natalie Ewbank, Austin Hancher, Matthew Hartley, Corbin Likar, Stephen Bryant, Lucas Dzikowski and Sydney McWreath.
Photo courtesy of Cameron Street

This year, the boys’ and girls’ Trinity swim team is heating up the water with their impressive work for the 2023-2024 swim season. As the team dives head-first into this season, they’ve proven themselves time and time again with their incredible skills and admirable work ethic.

This year, the boy’s team is led by two captains, Senior Jack Pan and Junior Corbin Likar along with the girls’ team captains, Seniors Natalie Ewbank and Avery O’Sullivan. The team itself consists of five seniors, including Pan, Austin Hancher, Ewbank, O’Sullivan and Sydney McWreath.

Pan comments that one of his main goals as a leader for his team is encouraging his teammates to be the best version of themselves they can be. 

“I always try to motivate my teammates in any way I can,” Pan explains.

For many individuals on the swim team, the season never really ends. 

Freshman Paige Schott explains that she prepares and practices for the real season year-round. Generally, when the season begins in November, the team members attend practices at the Trinity Middle School pool. During these practices, the group starts by stretching and warming up and then they proceed to do their main drills. For example, some focus on swimming certain distances while others practice their style of stroke.

While the team does not have any divers, they will participate in relays and individual races if the other school at a meet has a diving team.

There are multiple ways an individual can swim for the team, including the butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke and freestyle. Schott, who performs all strokes for the team, has broken Trinity’s 100 yard butterfly record. Impressively, Schott has a secured spot for Sectionals this year for the 100 yard breaststroke.

“I’ve also qualified for the WPIAL competition in February for this season in most of my individual events,” Schott notes. 

Additionally, assistant coach for the team Coach Chris comments that his swimmers have beat their personal records and have become a stronger team because of the dedication they have for swimming.

Overall, the team’s outlook for the season is quite positive. Both Pan and Schott explain that the team has had great meets and tons of improvement from everyone on the team. Schott specifically remarks that her teammates seem to become faster and stronger with each practice and meet they have. 

Of course, the members of the team have to attribute their improvements to not only themselves but also to their coaches, who are Coach Chris, Coach Day and Coach Carla.

“My teammates and I appreciate the coaching and guidance of all our swim coaches,” Schott adds.