Trinity rifle team aims for great season

Photo courtesy of Emily Hasson
Trinity rifle team poses at the middle school range, where they practice each day. Make sure to wish the team luck for their next match!

Trinity’s rifle team is aiming for another spectacular season after their section win last year. The rifle teams headed their section with a 14-0 record last year and are keeping the same goal: to be section champions.  

They started this season with a win against Avella, 797-62x to 725-24x. 

The team is led by Senior captains Bria Bruce, Emily Hasson and Bo Schury as well as coaches Mr. Husk, Katie Krocsko and Michael Krocsko. The team has matches every Tuesday and Thursday with upcoming opponents such as Bethel Park, West Greene, Upper St. Clair and Waynesburg. 

“We are all good friends and encourage each other to shoot better. We also give tips if we see a pattern where someone went wrong and lift our teammate’s spirits when they shoot worse than they would have liked to,” comments Sophomore Everett Luzar. 

The rifle team’s close bond helps them to accelerate their skills in a practice setting. Each day, the team gathers at the range to shoot their relays. Six people can shoot at one time and there are typically three to four relays.

“They get sighted in by the coaches and then proceed to shoot the targets and the coaches make slight adjustments to get us as accurate as they can,” mentions Luzar. 

They hope to remain accurate throughout the whole season. Their current record, 6-0, reflects that skill they work hard to perfect. 

“Every practice we have is preparing us for a match,” states Hasson. 

To prepare for their matches, the team loads up on the bus at the middle school, along with their equipment, and heads to the match. Rifle is a sport of concentration, so the rifle teams stay calm and quiet during their matches so they don’t disrupt the people shooting. 

“This also helps us to get our heart rate down, which keeps us steady and concentrated while we shoot,” says Luzar. 

The team is continuing to work hard to achieve their goals of an undefeated season, a WPIAL win and to make it to states. Good luck!