Trinity hockey prepares to heat up

Photo courtesy of Reese Ramey
The Trinity Hillers line up to shake hands with their opponents after a 5-0 loss to Connelsville.

‘Tis the season for ice hockey. The Trinity Hillers have kicked off the 2023-2024 season and are prepared to turn their season around after a slow start. 

Captained by Seniors John Beitler, Cole Ramey and Josh Sitler, the team has a record of one win and five losses as of December 19. Although the season hasn’t started the way they had hoped, the captains are confident in their ability to lead the team to improve, start winning more games and make a push for the playoffs.

“We are definitely feeling better than last season. We got our first win in our first game. We’ve been down a rough stretch. We’ve lost four in a row but we’re hoping to bounce back,” says Sitler.

The team believes that they can make the necessary changes through hard work, practice and strengthening morale.

Ramey says, “I think we just need to bring a better attitude about turning this season around.”

Leading up to the season, the team began dry land conditioning in July and on-ice practices began one month before the start of the season. Practices are typically once a week and broken down into a five-minute warm-up period followed by 45 minutes of drills and finished out with 10 minutes of fun and games such as three-on-three matchups.

The captains, who all have been playing for around thirteen years, shared that hockey has taught them important lessons about sportsmanship, respect and teamwork, and they all look forward to playing their last season of high school hockey.

Beitler says, “It’s senior year. I want to have fun as a senior and win some more games.”

Games take place once a week, usually on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. Their next game as of December 19 is tonight, December 19, at 9 p.m. at Printscape Arena, so make sure to show up and support the Trinity Hillers!