Trinity hockey skates their way on ice

Last+years+hockey+team+prepares+to+take+the+ice+for+their+next+game+at+Printscape+Arena+in+Southpointe.+

Photo by Mark Marietta

Last year’s hockey team prepares to take the ice for their next game at Printscape Arena in Southpointe.

Being on the ice for many people is quite hard, with challenges like bowed legs, freezing hands and many falls, but hockey skaters make it look easy. Trinity’s hockey season is in its final swing, with only one game left in March of 2022 before the playoffs which take place in March after the last game. 

The Trinity Ice Hockey club/team was created to promote, advance and sponsor young hockey players by providing an opportunity for Trinity students and those from other high schools to play hockey and help learn good sportsmanship. The team plays in the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Hockey league, which was created in 1999 to join together three different hockey leagues in the area. While technically the team is from Trinity, players from other schools, like Chartiers Houston, Beth Center, John Marshall, and Sewickley Academy. The Trinity students on the team are Cole Ramey, Cole Johnson, Matt Heffner, Davis Dolanch, Josh Sitler, John Beitler, Liam Porter and Dax Kress. 

The coach for the team is Austin Webber, a Trinity High School alumnus. This year’s captains are Corey Blommel from Chartiers Houston, Dax Kress from Trinity and Blaise Bitz from Chartiers Houston. 

The club has eleven schools that currently compete with Trinity Ice Hockey, including Bishop Canevin, Burrell, Carrick, Ringgold, and Elizabeth Forward. 

Their season has a total of eighteen games, not including if they make it to the playoffs. The team’s next game is March 1, 2022, which is also their senior night where they showcase the seniors and what they’ve done on the ice over the years. 

“Trinity can support the team by coming to our games,” Senior and captain Dax Kress says. 

The team has one to two practices per week on the ice and has very few practices off of the ice. At the beginning of the season the team practiced at Rostraver Ice Garden, but currently, they practice at Wheeling Park and RMU Ice Rink. If anyone is looking to practice hockey, there are several times at Southpoint where they allow full gear open skating, which lets upcoming hockey players work on their skills. 

If any students are thinking about joining the team, sign-ups start in mid-spring and continue until December. Students can sign up on the Trinity Ice Hockey website, trinityhillers.com.