Music fans explore new media horizons

With so many books on the market, it can be challenging to narrow down the options. Anyone looking for new reads can use this guide to match interesting books with their music taste.
Photo courtesy of Katherine Drezewski

Music comes in many different genres, and most people can find an artist or type of music they enjoy the most. However, it can be challenging to find interesting books to read, as they don’t typically receive as much attention. Luckily, music and books relate to each other closely, and this guide can be used to help music lovers find books based on their interests.

1. Olivia Rodrigo

Full of emotion and frustration, Olivia Rodrigo’s music encapsulates the teenage experience. Anyone who feels stuck in their life and wants to break free and explore who they are would enjoy the messages in her music. Two books that recreate the emotional experience of listening to Olivia Rodrigo are “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas and “The Cruel Prince” by Holly Black. Both books portray the stories of protagonists that are looking to gain the respect and admiration of their peers and feel frustrated by their circumstances. These books are sure to create an emotional environment teenagers can relate to.

2. Faye Webster

Faye Webster produces insightful, romantic music that sounds light-hearted while also having a meaningful, coming-of-age sound. Two books that are perfect for Faye Webster fans include “Love + Other Detours” by Jenna Evans Welch and “A Very Large Expanse of the Sea” by Tahereh Mafi. Both of these books are examples of angsty young adult love stories.

3. Hozier

Hozier’s music tells a story, and it seems sort of mystical and dreamy, similar to “Cloud Cuckoo Land” by Anthony Doerr and “The Secret Garden” by Frances Hodgson Burnett. “The Secret Garden” has a lot of beautiful imagery, which matches the scenery that Hozier portrays in his music. “Cloud Cuckoo Land” is an extremely interesting read with a lot of twists and turns and intertwining storylines. Fans of Hozier might enjoy this book due to its similarity to his narrative and fantastical lyrics that convey a story in themselves.

4. Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple makes rebellious music that doesn’t focus solely on romance, but also brings in society and herself. Two books that are similar are “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath and “1984” by George Orwell. Both of these books have main characters that question themselves and the situations unfolding around them. Any portrayal of romance is confusing and complicated, similar to Apple’s views on her relationships, along with a distrust in the world around them. They can be seen as unsettling and have darker ideas behind them. 

5. Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers writes indie rock music with consistent themes of heartbreak and sadness. Her tracks are conversational and personally impact a wide variety of people, which is why many fans of romance books would be drawn to her music. “Normal People” by Sally Rooney and “They Both Die At The End” by Adam Silvera both feature hopeless relationships and are tear-jerking reads. “Normal People” has very relatable characters that are comforting to read about, and “They Both Die At The End” is a story of two people getting closer even though they have no chance of staying together forever. They both seem casual, similar to Bridger’s music, but somehow convey a deeper meaning that a majority of people can connect to. 

6. Lana Del Rey

“Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass” is an obvious choice for any Lana Del Rey fan, since she wrote this and included her original photography. The poems and writings in this book are very reminiscent of her music, so anyone that enjoys her lyricism would naturally like this book. “We Were Liars” by E. Lockhart is also another book that most Lana Del Rey fans would like. It is mysterious and focuses on an old-money family, which relates to some of her recent albums. It has an imperfect and strange romance and many secrets are uncovered throughout the novel. 

7. Beabadobee

Beabadobee’s emotional music is deeply relatable because of its exploration into the experience of growing up and friendship. Fans of this music would be able to relate to “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott and “In Some Other Life” by Jessica Brody which explore similar topics. These books successfully reflect on what it means to be confident and how to navigate through complicated emotions.

8. Noah Kahan

In recent months, Noah Kahan’s music has soared in popularity because of his deeply emotional and poetic lyrics. Similarly, “Writers and Lovers” by Lily King and “All the Bright Places” by Jennifer Niven follow emotionally-burdened protagonists as they struggle through difficult times. This combination of music and literature will inspire feelings of nostalgia through careful writing and raw imagery.

9. Harry Styles 

With summer quickly approaching, free-spirited and outgoing energy is in. Music by Harry Styles is a perfect match for music lovers looking to embrace the coming season. “The Summer I Turned Pretty” by Jenny Han and “Better Than the Movies” by Lynn Painter are romantic comedy books that will leave readers feeling hopeful and inspired with their well-written storylines that Harry Styles fans are sure to enjoy.