Spring into new season with fresh spaces

Spring is a fresh start! Use this time wisely and refresh the messy cluttered spaces that have been neglected during winter!
This image was accessed via Google Creative Commons license.

As winter comes to a close, most people search for a way to clean their spaces to start spring fresh and organized. To tackle messy and cluttered spaces, people commonly take the time to deep clean or “spring clean” areas that need a revamp.

Stereotypically, spring symbolizes a fresh, new start and after months of feeling the “winter blues,” and reorganizing helps bring spaces back to life. 

Thousands of years ago, people all over the world would participate in the ritual “spring clean.” In today’s day in age, we think of spring cleaning to clean and refresh areas. However, people years ago cleaned to protect their families from contagious diseases. From the earliest records, spring cleaning was popular in the Middle East and China for religious purposes. The warm weather allowed people to open windows and “air out” their spaces, clean dust from fire and coal stoves and wipe other areas before bugs made their appearance for the spring. 

People clean a multitude of areas in their homes during the annual deep clean. What makes spring cleaning different is instead of just vacuuming the living room carpets, people wipe down the baseboards along the floors and dust inside of that TV stand that has been neglected all winter long. Sophomore staff member, Katherine Drezewski takes the time to organize her desk and dust her shelves when cleaning her room to restore her space.

A common space most people reorganize is their closets. Maybe this means arranging clothes by color, article of clothing, or taking unwanted clothes out of the closet to donate. This is also a good time to move the winter items to the back of the closet and bring the spring items to the front.

Editor-in-Chief Addison Paul says, “I also like to take clothes I do not wear anymore and donate them to charity, like the city mission”

An unusual space that can be looked over when spring cleaning is the car. People take this time to go through the car wash to get that tough winter road salt off the exterior of their car. Afterward, take the time to throw away items, vacuum spaces and wipe surfaces. With spring approaching, taking time to clean and restore spaces will help go into the new season feeling refreshed. 

“I think it is important to make room for new memories and items. Your space should be able to grow with you,” comments staff writer Cameron Street.

Happy spring cleaning, Hillers!