Students celebrate Women’s History Month

Photo courtesy of Mrs. O’Lare
Celebrate Women’s History Month with The Hiller’s all-female staff!

In March 1987, Women’s History Month (WHM) was officially established in order to recognize the contributions and achievements of women throughout history. Though it started as “Women’s History Week” in the late 1970s, Congress made the decision to expand it to the entire month of March, naming March 8 International Women’s Day. 

Originally, a local celebration in Santa Rosa, California began to commemorate the importance of women in history. Eventually, the celebrations spread across the country and subsequently around the world. 

What sparked the interest in the celebration of women, and who should we recognize during this time? It’s no secret that women have been historically cast aside in the world, leaving men credited all of society’s achievements. Because of the prejudice shown against women, the creation of WHM was born. 

Giving women the recognition they deserve allows them to get credit for what they have accomplished. WHM highlights iconic women like former First Lady Michelle Obama and Civil Rights Activist Rosa Parks for their contributions to American history. 

Junior Juliahna Urso adds, “Susan B. Anthony is one of the most infamous women that we recognize today. She was a powerhouse for women’s right to vote. Any woman in history who beat odds like Marie Curie with her being the only woman in Poland enrolled in college also comes to mind. They’re all incredibly inspiring.”

Not only do women gain recognition from the celebration, but society also greatly benefits from WHM. By uplifting women, the community is brought closer together. Commemorating the women who fought for women’s rights amidst constant discrimination is vital to learning from history and growing as a society.

WHM isn’t just focused on iconic women in history that made groundbreaking discoveries; it encompasses all women, like mothers, sisters, daughters and friends. Junior Emily Tuite comments that she enjoys commemorating the women in her life like her mom and sister by spending extra time with them.

“I think it’s important to show extra love to the women in your life, especially during Women’s History Month. Carving out extra time to spend with your loved ones is essential for celebrating this time of year, and I would definitely recommend trying to do it,” Tuite says. 

This month, take the time to step back and appreciate the women who have worked tirelessly to achieve their dreams. Happy Women’s History Month!