Black history inspires progress

Black history is a complex and sophisticated topic. It is important to remember that, despite the importance of black history month, diversity should be celebrated year-round.
This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

When it comes to Black history and representation, there is no way to summarize it in a few words. So much work and sacrifice has gone into the fight for inclusion and that fight still continues to this day. However, there is no doubt that substantial change has been made in the media to allow more and more people to see themselves on screen, in books, onstage and on so many more platforms. 

Although it is important to remember the past that has gotten people to where they are, it is also important to recognize the future and the new figures in the media that inspire the next generation of Black dreamers. This list highlights four influential black figures in the media in recent years, in no particular order.

1 – Beyoncé:

Known by fans as “Queen Bey,” Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter is a prominent black singer, songwriter and businesswoman. She is known for producing pop, R&B and soul music. Her best selling album, “Dangerously in Love,” has sold over six million copies in the United States alone. Beyoncé’s success has turned her into an icon in Black culture and inspired artists such as Nicki Minaj, Selena Gomez, Adele and many more.

2 – Halle Bailey:

Since it was revealed that she would be portraying Ariel in Disney’s live action remake of “The Little Mermaid,” actress Halle Bailey has been the center of much discourse about representation and its importance. Although many critics of the film and the casting have said that it was in poor taste to cast a woman of color for the role, her acting has allowed many young girls to see themselves as a Disney princess, other than Tiana. Her role in allowing young Black girls to feel represented in a new way has made her a strong role model in the Black community.

3 – Chadwick Boseman:

Although the Marvel actor passed away in 2020, Chadwick Boseman’s impact on Black youth remains strong. His most well known role was that of T’Challa in the 2018 film “Black Panther”. This film is recognized for its representation of African culture and inspirational messages. The film allowed for many young boys and girls to see themselves as superheroes on the big screen, which was rather uncommon before the release of this film. In fact, “Black Panther” was the first ever Marvel film with a Black director and primarily Black cast. This movie left its mark on the film industry by opening the door for more diverse action movies to come.

4 – Jordan Fisher:

Known for his work in romantic comedies and Disney series, actor Jordan Fisher has expanded his acting to the Broadway stage. Since his Broadway debut on November 22, 2016, Fisher has been in four musicals including iconic shows such as “Hamilton” and “Dear Evan Hansen.” He is currently performing as Orpheus in “Hadestown.” At only 29 years old, Fisher is sure to continue to represent the Black community with his achievements.

Over the last few years there has been a growth of representation in the media, which has made all the difference in the lives of young people of color who are finally seeing themselves represented in the media they interact with.