Reddy rocks world in vet program

The+Trinity+vet+clinic+is+well+underway.+%0AThis+program+prepares+students+for+a+successful+beginning+to+their+vet+journey.+With+the+now+available+clinic%2C+students+can+get+hands-on+experience+that+will+help+them+develop+skills+necessary+in+the+field+of+veterinary+science.+
Photo Courtesy of Katherine Drezewski.
The Trinity vet clinic is well underway. This program prepares students for a successful beginning to their vet journey. With the now available clinic, students can get hands-on experience that will help them develop skills necessary in the field of veterinary science.

This year, Mrs. Reddy, CVT (certified veterinary technician), has the opportunity to offer students in her veterinary program an interactive beginners vet clinic at Trinity High School.

The Trinity vet program is a three-year program with classes that teach about all the aspects of vet technology. This has given students opportunities to progress in this field after they graduate from high school. The vet tech program prepares students with the knowledge and skills needed to be hired as a vet assistant immediately following high school. When students graduate they can continue their education to become a groomer, kennel assistant, veterinarian, animal behaviorist or trainer.

The program begins with animal work safety and medical terminology. More skills are learned such as the types of animals and breeds, then it progresses into learning about infections, diseases and how to properly treat animals with the right course of action. When they graduate from the program, students will be OSHA certified, have completed the Purina Nutrition Matters and Fear Free program, and will be certified in Pet CPR and First Aid. 

Recently, the Trinity vet program opened a lab to the students and teachers of Trinity, where pets can receive grooming services. The clinic will be open for pets such as cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, and more once the program takes off. Although prices are yet to be determined, they will run cheaper than other grooming clinics. 

Reddy says that it is going to “be able to offer nail trims and ear cleanings and some basic grooming [of pets] to people in the school like students and teachers.”

In the future, Reddy would like to branch out to the community and provide more information on pet education and care.

Reddy is excited to be teaching young minds about veterinary medicine and believes that “seeing the students that enjoy it and have wanted to come back year after year” gives her a sense of satisfaction and pride.

When she sees that students actually care about what they are learning and what they can do with what they learned from her vet program she feels inspired. Students also feel as though her program has made an impact on them.

Senior Makynna Kingan is a completer of the program and says, “It gave me the motivation to go to college and get a degree.”

Students who are interested in learning more about the vet program should talk to Reddy in room 14 during the open hours of the clinic: Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. or see their guidance counselor.