“Elf” movie creates more memories during 20th anniversary

Buddy the Elf, played by Will Ferrell, on the set filming scenes for the movie. “Elf” was mainly filmed in New York and Canada.
This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

Holiday movies have become a huge part of the pop culture industry in America, influencing Christmas traditions and cheer all around.  Along with many of others, “Elf” is one of these movies that have impacted the country since its debut 20 years ago. 

With “Elf” releasing on November 7, 2003, it quickly became one of the highest-paying Christmas movies in theaters, with it bringing in over $220 million across the globe. 

“Will Ferrall is the best actor,” says Sophomore Bryce Bailes. 

The movie features well-known celebrities such as Will Ferrall as Buddy, Bob Newhart as Miles Finch and James Caan as Walter Hobbs. These celebrities and many more helped it become the comedic classic it continues to be today.

The movie is about a human who is taken in by and raised to be a Christmas elf. When the elf, whose name is Buddy, grows older, he leaves the North Pole to find his dad and spread cheer to New York City. 

There are many memorable lines, clips and actions in the movie that have caught on in society, keeping it relevant year after year, such as the term “cotton-headed ninny muggins’’ and putting syrup on spaghetti. 

All the scenes shot in New York feature real-life interactions with the people of the city, which adds that sense of realness and lets viewers relate to the movie.

The producer of the film, Todd Komarnicki, shared a statement with Fox News saying, “It’s humbling because you work equally hard on everything you ever do, and you never think somebody’s going to stick in the culture like this. And now to see these lines of people from all over the world and the joy on their face, they’re bringing with them the experience they had from this little movie that we made 20 years ago.” 

The Empire State Building celebrated “Elf” by lighting up yellow and green, Buddy’s colors, while also holding showings of the movie on floor 80 of the building. 

The celebration was not limited to just New York. States all across the country participated in it as well by bringing the movie back to local theaters and streaming services.

Here in Pennsylvania, theaters like AMC in South Hills and the Cinemark in Robinson are participating in this festivity of showing “Elf.” Those who are not interested in going to a theater but still want to watch the Christmas classic can catch it on services such as Hulu and MAX. 

“I love the childish nature of it, and how it 20 years and its popularity is still so very strong,” Business teacher Mrs. Migyanko comments. 

As this timeless classic grows older, never forget that “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear!”