“The Nutcracker” spreads holiday joy across generations

Photo courtesy of Leah Kubacka
Pictured above is the 2022 showing of “The Nutcracker” performed by the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre at the Benedum Center. Tickets to this year’s performances are on sale now on their website. https://pbt.culturaldistrict.org/production/84898/the-nutcracker .

Holiday traditions come in all forms. From baking cookies to family get-togethers, the most classical and timeless of them all has to be seeing the iconic ballet “The Nutcracker.” Composed by Pyotr Tchaikovsky and choreographed by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, the piece debuted in Russia in December 1892. Despite it being over one hundred years old, the ballet is a Christmas tradition for families all over the world to this day and has become a staple for thousands of people.

The Christmas-themed ballet follows a young girl, Clara, who befriends a nutcracker that comes to life on Christmas Eve. Through a series of performances, other toys come to life and help Clara defeat the Mouse King. Shortly thereafter, the nutcracker becomes a prince and takes Clara on a journey through “The Land of the Snow” and “The Land of the Sweets.” Clara finally wakes up from the dream on Christmas morning and reminisces about her adventure. 

With a variety of other winter festivities to be celebrated around this time of year, what is it that makes “The Nutcracker” so captivating? For one, the intricate and impressive choreography performed by the selected dancers never fails to amaze a variety of people, ranging from those with dance experience to those without any knowledge of the art.

Sophomore Cameron Johnson, a dancer at Moschetta’s Performing Arts Center, comments that for her, seeing “The Nutcracker” is a vital part of Christmastime and watches the ballet nearly every year with her family. 

“I always love to see ‘The Nutcracker’ during the holidays. I think the show is an important part of the season and always brings me so much joy and excitement,” she adds.

“The Nutcracker” is also popular for its enjoyment across multiple generations, which makes it a fantastic family tradition. While most holiday activities are enjoyed by specific age groups, the ballet can be appreciated by all ages. Celebrating the holidays is all about spending time with family, and “The Nutcracker” provides the opportunity to do just that. 

Gianna Stiehler, a sophomore at Dance With Me by Sisters 3, remarks that “The Nutcracker” is a classic that thousands of people enjoy every year because of its ability to be watched repeatedly and still amaze people who have seen it plenty of times. She also comments on how it can entertain the entire family.

“I think seeing ‘The Nutcracker’ has become a tradition for so many people because it really resonates with people of all ages. From the story, to the choreography, to the iconic music, it really is a special holiday tradition for so many families,” she explains.

It’s agreeable that one of the most iconic ballet pieces of all time is the Christmas-classic “The Nutcracker” for people all over the world. Watch a local rendition of the timeless ballet this holiday season at the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh or at local dance studios offering their version.