Settling holly jolly debate: old vs. new Christmas celebrations

Photo courtesy of Mrs. O’lare
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Hiller Staff!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s the holiday season, which comes with many festive celebrations. Everyone is decking the halls, singing along to popular melodies and spending time catching up with family and friends. Christmas traditions are cherished among families, whether passed down through the generations or started anew. The Christmas holiday can be celebrated in so many ways. Both versions, traditional and modern, appeal to people everywhere. The Hiller staff is here to weigh in on this holly jolly debate.

Christmas festivities are commonly debated. While traditional Christmas music and decorations are the standard setup, modern Christmas tunes are becoming more popular. Those who don’t prefer traditional Christmas songs such as “Frosty the Snowman” or “Holly Jolly Christmas” opt for something new that just hit the charts. 

The Christmas music industry is notorious for showcasing old Christmas songs that are considered classics. But, recently, a plethora of pop artists have released their own new Christmas albums. Sabrina Carpenter’s album “fruitcake” along with Sia’s album “Everyday Is Christmas” have received a lot of recognition.

Dresden Bouman, Media Editor and Arts and Entertainment Editor, comments on her love for both traditional and modern tunes: “I like both and I have an appreciation for both. I think we need to get rid of some traditional songs.”

While many embrace the new songs, it can be argued that the classics are better because of their recognizability. 

Leah Kubacka, Copy Editor and Feature Editor, says, “I would say, generally, a mix of both traditional and new. I think classic holiday songs are more recognizable. It’s easier to get into the spirit with the classics that everyone knows.”

Christmas traditions, which are commonly debated, are often cherished among family and friends during the holiday season. Many families make sure that they are followed closely every year. Keeping traditions passed down through generations is a major component of a traditional Christmas celebration.

Kubacka mentions that her family has traditions that they are involved in every year: “My family and I make hard-tack candy. We make it in a bunch of flavors in a huge batch.” 

Bouman furthers this point by stating, “Traditional because I think it’s always nice to have something from the past.”

In short, should Christmas be celebrated in a traditional way or with a bit of modern flare? The Hiller staff believes that both ways of celebrating are special in their own right, so anyone can spice it up with some modern fades or keep it classic with passed-down traditions. 

From The Hiller staff, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!