Conflict in Middle East progresses

+This+is+an+example+of+pro-Israeli+and+pro-Palestinian+protests+that+have+been+taking+place+all+over+the+world.
Photo courtesy of Google Images via the Creative Commons License.
This is an example of pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian protests that have been taking place all over the world.

As of October 7, 2023, a Palestinian terrorist group, called Hamas, launched an attack on Israel. This attack killed more than 1,400 Israelis. During the attack, 230 children, women and soldiers were taken hostage. In response to the initial attack, Israel launched air strikes on Gaza that have killed more than 8,000 Palestinian civilians, with the death toll continuing to rise. 

The Gaza Strip is a piece of land between Israel and the Mediterranean Sea. Two million people inhabit this strip of land, making it one of the most densely populated places on Earth.

This conflict over religion and this piece of land has been going on since 1947. 

Israel’s retaliation to the initial attack on October 7 has led to more than 32,000 injuries. Israel has cut off food and fuel shipments to Gaza, and medical centers cannot provide service because of this.

Gaza residents have been asked to evacuate the city, but many are hesitant to leave. In the past, Palestinians have been forced to evacuate their land but have not been allowed to return. Therefore, many Palestinians would rather stay and risk death than leave. For those who have yet to move, supplies are getting scarce, seeing as they are only receiving a fraction of what they need. Several truckloads of supplies have been allowed through the Egyptian border, but more are needed.

The United States has chosen to back Israel in its retaliation against Hamas. Near the end of October, President Biden announced a 14.3 billion dollar package for Israel. This package will focus on military assistance to give Israel an advantage. 

The United States’ public has differing views on which side to support. Although many groups have shown their support for the Palestinians, other groups stand with Israel and their right to self-defense in the wake of the first attack. 

Students can access reliable news outlets like the Associated Press, BBC and The New York Times to learn more.