Club hunt: Students discover new interests

Caroline Miller
Members of the crochet club share strategies with each other at their meetings on Thursday in homeroom. They are also able to relax and socialize with other members while crocheting.

Trinity High School has various clubs to choose from this year, all based on certain interests and talents. Clubs enable the student body to gain experience and prepare them for the future. The more popular clubs are bursting with people eager to join and activities to be a part of, but there are so many clubs that aren’t as well known. Are these clubs just as interesting, if not more? 

Model UN is a club where students simulate the United Nations and learn about world issues and peace. This club travels frequently, even representing Trinity at Duquesne University. The members of this club are encouraged to educate themselves about international culture in order to be prepared for their meetings. Mrs. Hartley oversees this club, and most communication happens over email. Anyone interested in history who would like to join can contact her at jhartley@trinityhillers.net. Meetings are expected to be every Wednesday or Thursday.             

“It’s a great experience to learn about other countries,” Senior Alex Raymer comments. 

For people more interested in foreign languages, Trinity also offers both Spanish and German clubs. As most people know, the German club is in charge of creating the rolling bulletin board, but they do so much more. The German club’s main goal is to teach others about the culture of Germany. People who are in the upper-level German classes also help out the newer German students. This year, the club is planning a field trip to go to the German festival in Pittsburgh. Students interested in joining can contact Herr McLaughin at jmclaughin@trinityhillers.net. Their meeting dates are not set yet, but they will take place in room 289. 

“Come try it out, it’s fun,” Senior Natalie Ewbank states. 

Spanish club is another fun way to learn more about one of the foreign languages Trinity offers. The club helps to expand the knowledge of Spanish culture through fun activities. Later in the year, the members will also participate in the Pulsera project. They will be selling bracelets made and imported from Hispanic countries. Meetings will be held on the first Thursday of each month in room 276. Sra. Banish is the advisor for the club. For more information, contact her at sbanish@trinityhillers.net.

For students looking for a calm and creative club, the crochet club is a perfect place to start! With homeroom meetings every Thursday in room 289, students can practice their crochet skills, learn how to crochet or simply learn new strategies. Supplies are offered, and anyone is welcome. The crochet club is welcoming to everyone! For more information, contact Mr. McLaughin. 

“We just want to give people a group to hang out with, “ Junior Caroline Miller says. 

Book Club is a perfect club for anyone passionate about reading and serving the community. In book club, members bring the enjoyment of reading to people all around Washington by doing book drives, donating to little libraries and charities,  while also traveling to daycares to read to children. This club also allows students to enjoy books without the strict day-to-day rules. It’s extremely laid back, and an overall relaxing space to enjoy reading with others. Monthly meetings will be set soon and will take place in room 166. Ms. Shaw is the advisor of this club and can be reached at kshaw@trinityhillers.net. 

These clubs, along with so many others, are always willing to accept members. Students searching for a club should keep on the lookout for announcements. Students feeling club-stumped can contact the club advisors and learn more.