Students give back during holiday season

Mrs. Reddys dog sitting by her Pet Tree that was located in her room. Students were able to go pick a pet off the tree, and buy pet items for the pet they chose. The items were then donated to the Washington Humane Society for pets in need.

Photo courtesy of Ms. Reddy.

Mrs. Reddys’ dog sitting by her “Pet Tree” that was located in her room. Students were able to go pick a pet off the tree, and buy pet items for the pet they chose. The items were then donated to the Washington Humane Society for pets in need.

During the holiday season, it is important to remember that receiving is fun but giving back to the school and the community makes a difference and helps deliver the holiday spirit to others. 

Mrs. Giorgi noted, “It feels good to know you are helping someone from your community.”

This season, Trinity offered various ways for students to help and give back during the holidays, one way being band director Mr. Hilty’s “window shop.” The window shop was located by the practice rooms in the music department, and students were able to go and choose an elementary student to buy an outfit for as a Christmas present.

After choosing the student to buy for, students claimed a green card with the gender, size and grade of the selected student on the sign-out sheet located on Hilty’s door. The gift purchased was to be wrapped and turned in to Hilty no later than December 14. The window shop was one way for students to contribute to the school and community and even get some volunteer hours in. 

Other teachers and clubs also offered ways to give back this season. In Ms. Shaw’s room, there was a Salvation Army Angel Tree where students could choose a gift tag with a child’s first name, age, gender and wished-for gift. Students then brought in and donated the unwrapped gifts. 

The Chick-fil-a Leadership Academy collected snacks and drinks for workers to take to local hospitals. Mrs. Reddy had a “pet tree” that was located in her classroom where she collected pet toys, food, leashes, pet beds and other pet it to take to The Washington Humane Society, and the high school and student council also provided resources for the TMS Hiller Holiday Helpers who Christmas shop for presents for students in the district.

During the holidays, as well as the rest of the year, the Trinity district finds ways to give back as well. For example, TLC and the life skills group will be collecting socks and school supplies in January to be donated to the homeless, and the school’s food pantry is open all year.

Those who are unable to participate in the district’s initiatives can give back in the community during the season. Places like food and soup kitchens, animal shelters and homeless shelters are always looking for holiday helpers and/or even donations.

During the holidays, the time spent giving back is what means most to the school and community. Holidays are a fun time to receive, but also a time to reciprocate and give back to community members and local organizations.