Shirley Tempos club makes debut

The+new+members+of+the+Shirley+Tempo+acapella+group+gather+in+the+practice+rooms+for+fun%2C+musical+rehearsals.+The+Shirley+Tempos+is+meant+to+be+a+stress+free+option+for+students+who+are+passionate+about+singing+and+want+to+be+part+of+a+tight+knit+group+of+motivated+individuals.+

Photo Courtesy of Abby Drezewski

The new members of the Shirley Tempo acapella group gather in the practice rooms for fun, musical rehearsals. The Shirley Tempos is meant to be a stress free option for students who are passionate about singing and want to be part of a tight knit group of motivated individuals.

Trinity High School’s music department has always been a place where talented and passionate students could come together in order to create concerts or musicals. The school offers many different options for those who are musically inclined. However, before this school year, Trinity High School lacked an acapella option. Acapella is a form of singing where a singer performs without musical accompaniment. 

“Emma and I have always loved acapella singing and we really wanted to bring that to Trinity. Colleges have acapella groups, so why can’t we?” Senior Abby Drezewski said. 

Drezewski is the President of the Shirley Tempos club for the 2022-2023 school year. She and Senior Emma Bowman came up with the idea for this club, and eventually Mr. Komula approved it and became the club advisor. Drezewski and Bowman are both heavily involved in the music department. 

Drezewski plays the mellophone in the marching band and is also the Assistant Drum Major.  In addition, she plays the French horn in concert band, performs in the spring musical, sings in both concert and chamber choir and belongs to the Tri-M Music Honor Society. Bowman plays the flute in concert band, performs in concert and chamber choir and also is part of the Tri-M Music Honor Society.

This level of involvement in all aspects of music gives the impression that both girls truly care about what they are doing and will be confident, passionate leaders moving forward. 

“Acapella groups can be really fun and freeing. The Shirley Tempos is a low stress group where people can distract themselves from busy schedules. I think that’s what’s most important,” said Bowman, who is the current Vice President of the club. 

Drezewski and Bowman began meetings on Wednesday, September 21. Meetings will be held every Wednesday morning during homeroom and will take place either on stage or in the practice rooms near the auditorium. 

The current plan is for the group to perform in the high school lobby before choir, orchestra and band concerts in order to showcase the musical talent of everyone involved. Drezewski also wants to perform at the elementary schools at some point during the year. 

Drezewski commented, “Please join the Shirley Tempos if you want to have a fun time making music with friends. It’s not too late to join! If you’d like to, please reach out to me or Emma. We’d be happy to have you!”

If you have any interest  in joining the club, or if you have any further questions, please contact Drezewski at drezewskia@trinityhillers.net or Bowman at bowmane@trinityhillers.net.