Trinity students begin hunt for perfect prom attire

Trinity students debate how festive they should be with their decorative masks.

This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

As the momentous occasion of prom approaches, Trinity students flock to every bridal and suit shop within an hour radius. Although fancy attire is relatively accessible, finding the perfect fit is not always as easy as one may hope. Prom attire demands attention toward not only fit, but also color, feel, texture and the confidence factor. 

The most important quality to look for in prom wear is undoubtedly fit. The fabric must be comfy and loose enough to dance in all night. A good fit then automatically leads to confidence. 

Mrs. Sirianni explains the importance of fit: “…you have to have the right fit because you want the clothes to fit how they’re supposed to look.”

When attending different shops full of prom attire, senior Nicklas Hammer suggests bringing a friend in order to narrow down the options; such feedback eases the process.                          

This year, the prom’s theme is “Masquerade.” While the theme itself does not dictate what to wear, it can provide inspiration to those unsure of the proper attire. 

Senior Ava Robinson states, “I normally don’t consider the theme, but feel like we should. I think it would be fun to incorporate it into our outfits and [it would] be an interesting twist.”

The idea of attending a masquerade, however, raises the question: “What mask is best for each individual?”

Robinson and Sirianni agree that a mask with a handle is the best option for the event. 

Sirianni adds, “I think the ones with the little handle are just so elegant. Besides, the other ones just get stuck in your hair.”

Hammer argues, “Personally, I would say [the one that] stays on your face because it’s hands free…”

Therefore, the mask relies on personal preference. 

The “Masquerade” theme, though extravagant, can be daunting for those hoping for a less flashy existence at prom.

Sirianni reassures, “I think people should find prom attire that they feel confident wearing. It’s a bonus if it fits the theme.”

The extravagance of prom, however, can be used advantageously. Seniors have the opportunity to truly make their mark at prom with fun colors, quirky coordination and intriguing designs. 

Hammer believes that the equation for the perfect memorable prom outfit is: “Big. Bold. Brazen.”

Whether this year will be someone’s first or last prom experience, everyone has the opportunity to express themselves fully and enjoy their magical masquerade experience. 

The prom will take place on Friday, May 20, 2022, at the Hilton Double Tree on Racetrack Road. Tickets are on sale April 25 through May 6 for $66 (single) and $132 (couple). The Grand March will take place at 4 p.m. at the high school, arrival and registration at the Double Tree is at 6 p.m., and prom lasts from 6:30 to 10 p.m.