Hoops, they did it again! Trinity girls basketball are section champs!

Congratulations+girls+for+winning+section+champs.+Great+job+Alyssa+Clutter+for+joining+the+1000+point+club%21+

Kyle Horne

Congratulations girls for winning section champs. Great job Alyssa Clutter for joining the 1000 point club!

The Trinity girls basketball team has had a season of win after win, including one of the best achievements available: section champs. The girls have been working extra hard this season to keep their winning streak of three seasons. They are overall 18 wins and 4 losses. However in their league, WPIAL 5A (where schools compete all around Western Pennsylvania), they have 12 wins and 0 losses. 

Sophomore Maddy Roberts broke down the term “section champs:” “section champs basically means that out of all of the teams in our section – organized by amount of girls in our school and by area – we had the best record out of those teams. We got here by putting in a lot of work in the of-season and also by meeting the standards set for us by previous Trinity players.”

When asked how she thought the season was going, Sophomore Agatha Niccolai, who plays as a guard on both varsity and junior varsity said, “Considering we are section champions, I would say we are doing pretty well. We have grown a lot together throughout the season but we are not done, and we are definitely still improving.” 

Although the girls on the team are busy with school and basketball, they still make a point to go to the boys basketball games when they can to show their support, and typically, the boys return the favor. This type of teamwork and friendship has assisted the girls in winning the majority of their games this season. The girls also became more united this year through their Washington, DC, trip where they made memories with their teammates. 

The two seniors on the team, Claudia Cappelli and Alyssa Clutter, have worked extra hard to keep their winning streak and continue to impress their opponents. 

Sophomores Roberts, Macie Justice and Ruby Morgan have made an immediate impact on this years varsity team by filling the shoes of the previous starters.

Cappelli stated that her best game was senior night against Laurel Highlands. Niccolai said that her best junior varsity game was at the beginning of the year when they played against North Allegheny, with her best varsity game being against Connellsville. 

Roberts said that the hardest teams to beat this season were McKeesport and Thomas Jefferson who put up good fights against the Hillers! When the Hillers played Thomas Jefferson at home they won 59-36 and when they played the away game at Thomas Jefferson, they won 37-33. 

On Monday, Feb. 7, the girls defeated Albert-Gallatin with a score of 90-62 to clinch their section championship.

The girls then continued to work very hard to prepare for the playoffs. Their tough playoff game against Armstrong on Tuesday, Feb. 22, ended with a win, 70-49, and kept them on the road to the WPIAL championship. The team played extremely well with Senior Alyssa Clutter making the 1,000 point club during the Armstrong game and Sophomore Ruby Morgan making six three pointers. 

Tonight, the team takes on McKeesport at home at 7:00 p.m.  The girls need this win to continue on their path to the WPIALS.  Come out and support the Lady Hillers; and make-up sure to wear all white for tonight’s whiteout!