Excitement builds for pyramid concert

High+school+students+inspire+younger+musicians+through+their+playing+at+the+pyramid+concert.+The+last+concert+took+place+shortly+before+the+COVID-19+shutdown+in+March+2020.+

Courtesy of Mr. Lauver via Twitter

High school students inspire younger musicians through their playing at the pyramid concert. The last concert took place shortly before the COVID-19 shutdown in March 2020.

Music teachers Mrs. Graham, Miss Bumpus and Mr. Hilty are hard at work trying to keep students’ passion for music alive by organizing a pyramid concert for musicians of various ages. The concert will feature the fifth grade, eighth grade and high school concert band ensembles on March 2, 2022, at 6:30 p.m.   

The concert is referred to as a “pyramid concert” because the skill level of the instrumentalists increases with each grade level. Starting with the fifth grade, playing ability improves with the eighth grade performance and then again with the high school performance. 

This is Trinity High School’s second pyramid concert; the first was held very shortly before the initial COVID shutdowns in 2020. The music program was unable to hold one last year due to the pandemic. 

Combining multiple grade levels gives younger students a chance to interact with people that have continued through the band program, inspiring them to do the same. Elementary students will look up to the older students and will be inclined to stay in the band program when entering middle school. Parents of elementary schoolers will also be inclined to encourage their kids to continue with the band program after seeing the possible improvements that their children will make as they progress. Older students’ parents will also be able to see how far their children have come since they began playing their instruments.  

Admission is completely free to all Trinity High School concert band performances. 

“Everyone should be welcome at concerts with no fees required,” elementary school music teacher Graham stated. 

The audience for this concert is predicted to be much larger than that of the high school’s winter and spring concerts. There were approximately 20 students in the fifth grade ensemble for the last pyramid concert, but this year there are over 60. With just one of the ensembles more than tripling, parents should arrive early to ensure optimal seating. 

Hilty and Bumpus have been key parts in keeping up interest in the band programs after elementary school, according to Graham. They work tirelessly to ensure a positive secondary education musical experience. 

“Mr. Hilty and Miss Bumpus are the absolute best coworkers and we could not do this without both of them,” according to Graham. 

The music program is thrilled to once again host a pyramid concert. This concert will help to strengthen the music program by inspiring young musicians to continue with their passion.