Seeing into the fresh second semester

Senior+Bella+Naddeo%2C+with+her+AP+Biology+binder%2C+is+ready+for+the+second+semester.+Along+with+Naddeo%2C+Senior+Darren+Johnson+and+Mrs.+Rush+share+their+thoughts+on+the+Hillers+next+90+days.+

Krista

Senior Bella Naddeo, with her AP Biology binder, is ready for the second semester. Along with Naddeo, Senior Darren Johnson and Mrs. Rush share their thoughts on the Hillers’ next 90 days.

Fresh classes for students, fresh student rosters for teachers and fresh opportunities for all. The first 90 days of school are filled with exciting events, breaks and new beginnings. The second 90 days begin the second semester, a time in which the after-festivity stillness of January allows us some valuable planning time. 

The second semester is one of few breaks and contains the AP testing periods,  a combination that can be quite the stamina-breaker for some. Taking time to personally reflect on the first semester is not only beneficial, but motivating. 

Senior Bella Naddeo looks forward to the second semester as it is similar to a “clean slate.” 

Students are able to take the pressure of past grades off their shoulders and begin anew. Building a strong foundation of grades at the start of the semester makes the path to the desired end grade more achievable. 

Naddeo expects to see an overall improvement across the board in her classes. She feels more accustomed to her classes and teachers and is confident in her ability to keep improving throughout the entire semester. Specifically, her main goal is to receive an A in Mr. Smith’s AP Biology course. 

With some reflection, Naddeo stated, “I have developed effective study habits that work for me, but I plan to work on my time management skills going into the second semester.” 

Most importantly, Naddeo, like many other seniors, wishes to make the best of her last semester as a Hiller. Her focus on time management will allow her a schedule in which she has the balance to enjoy the rest of the year without stress. Naddeo also plans to put extra effort into completing scholarship applications and finalizing her plans to attend W&J where she will continue her academic and athletic career. With the colder months ahead, students have more time to take a break and begin or finish any applications they may have due. 

Senior Darren Johnson also has high expectations for the second semester. Johnson views the second semester as his first glimpse into his future beyond high school.

With a positive and relatable outlook, he stated,  “I cannot wait for what is to come,” in regards to the rest of the semester and year. 

Colleges are releasing decisions and many students are beginning to accept offers. Though very excited for his future, he expressed that he will be sure to maintain the grades he worked hard to achieve in the first semester.

In a different light, Johnson would like to use his last semester of high school as a time to get more involved in school activities and within the community. Planning goals for the second semester is step one, but working to achieve those goals is the ultimate and most important step.

Chemistry teacher Mrs. Rush has some advice for students looking into the second semester. Able to relate to students and their workload, Rush is currently preparing for her edD at the University of Pittsburgh. 

She understands the need to balance school work with outside activities and stated, “Take your weeks one week at a time, one day at a time,” meaning that students shouldn’t get stressed and discouraged by all the work ahead of them; just put the best work forward and work hard week-by-week. 

To seniors specifically, Rush wants them to know that Trinity provides them with a great education to enable a successful transition to college. Her advice is to relax, work hard and enjoy the last semester of high school. 

To her chemistry sophomores, she wants them to know that the year is going to continue to get better and their hard work will pay-off in the next chapter. The ions aren’t forever, just stay positive and keep your ion the prize. 

The second semester is a chance to continue the successes of the first semester and also a time to improve. Whichever one it may be, remember that setting goals + evaluating past performance = success. You’ll be shining so bright, your teachers will have to wear shades.