Dr. DeMore joins administration staff of TASD

Dr.+DeMore+is+very+excited+to+join+the+the+TASD+administration+and+work+to+benefit+every+student+and+teacher+in+the+district.+

Photo courtesy of Dr. DeMore

Dr. DeMore is very excited to join the the TASD administration and work to benefit every student and teacher in the district.

The end of summer means the first day of school for many kids, but there’s at least one adult who might be feeling those first-day jitters that plague so many schoolchildren: Dr. DeMore, Trinity Area School District’s new Director of Curriculum and Instruction for grades K-12. 

DeMore is coming to Trinity with over two decades of teaching experience. She previously taught middle school social studies at Norwin School District in Westmoreland County for 19 years before transitioning to coordinate their Gifted Program for grades 7-12. At the same time she was instructing, she was also a student, pursuing degrees of higher education in order to achieve her current title. 

She received her undergraduate and graduate degrees from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania and St. Francis University, respectively. She is also an alumnus of the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) where she earned her doctorate in Administration and Policy Studies.  

Those years of study have well-prepared her for the new position.

According to DeMore, “One of the first tasks will be a curriculum audit. We’ll take a look at the written curriculum and make sure we are reaching standards and adjust the curriculum maps accordingly. Full mastery of these standards is key for graduation. I’ll also be conducting trainings and workshops for teachers on things like best classroom practices and interactions with students.”

While DeMore openly admits her position is her dream job, and she is beyond thrilled to have the chance to positively impact a district of teachers and students, that doesn’t mean the job comes without challenges. 

“For me, [the biggest challenge is] probably just managing so much work. There are so many things going on at once. I’m pretty organized, but that only goes so far,” she commented.

Additionally, DeMore acknowledged this position is one that will cause great change, and it is often in human nature to resist change. Regardless, she is confident that learning how to rethink old standards and making gradual progress will be the key to success.

Throughout her career, DeMore has had several role models and mentors: for one, her advisor at Pitt and current colleague and friend, Dr. Mary Margaret Kerr. Dr. DeMore often thinks, “What would Dr. Kerr do?” whenever she approaches a new problem in her work. 

She is furthermore inspired by Trinity’s very own superintendent Dr. Lucas, who was working on his doctorate at Pitt at the same time she was. 

“I was always in awe of his intelligence and ambition. He was a tremendous source of support and encouragement,” she said. 

She is also grateful to her father, a former social studies teacher, “who drilled into [her] the value of an education,” and steered her toward an academic career path.  

With such an inclination toward academia, it should come as no surprise that DeMore is an avid reader. 

On the educational side she recommends “Learning Targets” by Moss and Brookhart. She also suggested “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin De Becker as a fantastic life book. And while it might be cliche, her pick for classic literature is the prolific “Romeo and Juliet.”

Dr. DeMore is more than excited to start working with all of the students and staff of Trinity Area School District, so join the Hiller staff in welcoming her to our school as we begin the 2021-2022 school year!