Online hallpasses introduced to students, staff

School+Assistant+Principal+Dr.+Demian+uses+the+e-hallpass+system+in+order+to+allow+students+to+come+to+the+main+office.+

Riley Dunn

School Assistant Principal Dr. Demian uses the e-hallpass system in order to allow students to come to the main office.

Perhaps the biggest change to come to Trinity with the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year has been the introduction of the e-hallpass system. Instead of using paper hallpasses, students must now access the website e-hallpass.com in order to create new passes and move around during the school day. 

To use the website, students must go to the “create pass” page, select the teacher that they are leaving from and select a new destination. After that, their teacher must approve the pass, causing it to become “active” and therefore giving students permission to be in the hallways. Active passes will show up in a light green color on the website’s home page. 

“In the event of a lock down, we can account for all students in less than two minutes,” school Assistant Principal Dr. Demian comments on the merits of the e-hallpass system.

Demian believes that e-hallpasses improve the accountability of both students and staff. He also emphasizes that the passes should help with student security efforts, due to the fact that they can track students electronically. In the event of a security drill, teachers and administrators will be able to locate each and every one of the students that they are responsible for. 

“I believe that e-hallpasses will be successful, however I do think that there will be a learning curve,” school math teacher Mr. Phillips states. 

One common criticism of the e-hallpass system is that it takes time to use. High school students are constantly moving in and out of classrooms, which sometimes makes it difficult for teachers to keep up with passes while also continuing with their lessons. 

“The passes are good for some instances,” Junior Abby Drezewski says, “but if I have an emergency and need to leave, I don’t want it to take time.”

Demian and Phillips both agree that this problem will lessen after the school has had more time to become comfortable with the e-hallpass system. If the system is implemented properly, then time should not be significantly wasted. 

Hopefully, in the near future, Trinity students and staff will get used to the new e-hallpass system and learn to use it to the best of their ability.