Cafeteria undergoes renovation

For+the+2021-2022+school+year%2C+students+must+get+used+to+new+lights+and+floors+in+the+cafeteria.+

Kaylee Spadaro

For the 2021-2022 school year, students must get used to new lights and floors in the cafeteria.

Over the summer of 2021, the Trinity High School cafeteria underwent major renovations. The kitchen and seating area both experienced upgrades. These new changes will create a fresh environment for both students and staff alike.

Trinity High School received federal reimbursements for providing students with free lunches during remote learning throughout the pandemic. These funds went toward a total remodel of the cafeteria kitchen and seating area. Major changes like these have not taken place since the 1990s. 

Saving money and increasing meal flexibility are priorities for the new kitchen. The new equipment is energy efficient; it uses less gas and electricity. 

There is a new flat top grill, which is 12 inches larger than the previous one and will allow for new ways to cook vegetables. The kitchen now features two new cooling technologies, cold wells for the sandwich line and an air curtain cooler for fruits and vegetables. In addition to preserving cold foods, there is also a new method of heating the warm foods that utilizes less hot water in the wells in order to prevent steam burns. 

Food services director Nicolle Pleil commented, “Food trends in 1993 weren’t the same as they are now. Kids want more options and customizability.” 

These options are now being made possible with the new kitchen upgrades. 

Aesthetic changes took place as well, including new counter tops, condiment shelves, lights and flooring. 

Teachers, such as lunch monitor Mrs. Thornburg, seem to love the new changes, stating that the atmosphere of the students appears more positive: “It’s amazing, anything new is a great change. It’s brighter, cheerier, cleaner, no downsides.” 

Students, however, seem most focused on the reduced seating at tables. 

Siddaly Brooks, a junior, stated, “People are definitely less excited. It’s harder to talk to people you want to hang out with.” 

This reduced seating is a precaution that must be taken due to the pandemic. 

Renovations are far from over, with new tables and booths arriving soon. Next summer, the breakfast and coffee bar countertop will be replaced as well. These upgrades brought a much needed change to the high school.