Seniors forge new paths after graduation

Image accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

As seniors approach graduation, they must choose a unique path that will lead to success in the future!

Out of about 3,400,000 high school seniors graduating across the country this year, Trinity High School is fortunate to be the Alma Mater of 262 rising stars. These seniors are following unique paths to further their education and enter the workforce after graduation.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that, across the nation, the labor force participation rate of recently graduated seniors is 67.2 percent; this means that about two thirds of seniors enter the workforce directly after their high school graduation, whether or not they decide to go to college. But, according to recent surveys, ten percent of seniors who had originally planned to enroll at a four-year college before the COVID-19 outbreak have made alternative plans to solely work next year. 

Peyton Celani is one such student who considered going to college, but ultimately decided to take a gap year and enter the workforce.

“The pandemic has changed just about all of my plans. In February of 2020, I was completely set on going to Pitt for psychology. But, the pandemic gave me a reason to question if that was really what I wanted,” Celani explained.

Still unsure of her future plans, Celani is grateful for the opportunity to take next year to figure out her interests, think about the many career paths that are available and eventually find a career that she is truly passionate about. 

Making this decision was not easy, as Celani has taken ten AP classes throughout her high school career and has felt pressured to follow the collegiate path that many of her peers are taking.

But, teachers like Mr. Majoris inspired Peyton to be confident in her plans for next year: “At times I felt pressure to go straight to college just because everyone else was, he [Mr. Majoris] helped me realize that I have to follow my own path, and I am forever grateful,” Celani said.

Celani is thankful for the friends and teachers that have supported her, proud of the hard work that has gotten her to this post-graduation decision and relieved that she was able to push other people’s judgements aside and follow her own heart.

It is predicted that four-year residential colleges will face an enrollment drop of about five percent compared to last year’s enrollment. This is not only due to students like Celani who have decided to enter the workforce, but also due to students like Shayla McConnell who are pursuing alternative forms of education next year. 

McConnell plans to major in nursing at CCAC for two years to obtain a registered nurse (RN) degree, and then move to South Carolina upon graduating from CCAC to work as a registered nurse. After getting experience in the field, she plans to attend Clemson University to get a BSN in nursing.

“I talked with many nurses as I was deciding whether or not I really wanted to go into nursing. All of them strongly recommended this path. I will be able to be in less debt coming out of school, with the same degree and education as someone who went to 4-year university,” stated McConnell on her post-graduation strategy. 

McConnell is grateful for all of the skills she gained from taking AP and honors level classes, the people who pushed her to challenge herself and her teachers who helped her to gain the skills needed to think on a higher level. She feels that she is immensely prepared for her next steps due to the classes she has taken and the teachers that have inspired her to be her best. 

Reflecting on how she has prepared herself, McConnell said, “A lesson that I am grateful to have learned throughout high school is how to manage my time and balance my school, work and social life at the same time.”

While a four-year residential college is not the right path for every senior, it is predicted that 61% of Pennsylvania’s seniors will attend this type of undergraduate institution next fall. 

Bailey Dewalt is one such senior pursuing this path; she will be attending the University of Washington for a major in Astronomy and Astrophysics next year.

For Dewalt, one challenge of making this decision is having to say goodbye to friends and family. But, she is thankful to have support from family who encourages her to explore outside of her comfort zone, bonds and memories with friends and inspiration from teachers.

In particular, Mr. Polansky was influential in Dewalt’s high school career as she thinks that “he believes that any student can accomplish their dreams if they put in the work.”

While the pandemic has made this year harder, both socially and academically, there are many opportunities available to Dewalt and all other Trinity seniors after graduation.

“Try things out and if things fail, try again,” Dewalt offered as advice for next year.  

Congratulations and good luck to Celani, McConnell, Dewalt and all other Trinity seniors! The Hiller Newspaper can’t wait to see how the Class of 2021 continues to succeed.