Pennsylvania advances COVID-19 vaccine roll out

This image was accessed via Google Images under the Creative Commons License

Students over the age of 16 have the opportunity to receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. Students over the age of 18 can choose between the Pfizer and the Moderna.

The past school year has been an unpredictable and often difficult experience for many students at Trinity. Dealing with hybrid learning and pandemic restrictions has been anything but simple. However, there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel, which comes in the form of the COVID-19 vaccine.

As of Tuesday, April 13, 2021, Pennsylvania has officially entered Phase 2 of the vaccine rollout, meaning that all individuals ages 16 and older can now safely receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, while individuals 18 and older can receive the Moderna vaccine. 

Mrs. Sagerer was able to sign up for a vaccine through the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) website. For Sagerer, making the decision to be vaccinated was easy, considering that she works in a high risk environment and has family working in the medical field. 

Sagerer offers her advice to any student or staff member who might be interested in receiving shots of the vaccine: “As with any decision you make in life, you want to do your research first. If a student wants to get vaccinated, they should talk to their family & PCP. They can schedule an appointment through the CDC website. You can also find vaccination locations at https://vaccinefinder.org/search/. Pharmacies usually have their own scheduling websites, too, like Giant Eagle or CVS.”

All vaccines currently available to students have proved to be safe and effective against the COVID-19 virus. There is no “superior choice” when it comes to the vaccines, so students should not be afraid when choosing which one to get. 

Pfizer-BioNTech just requested expanded emergency use of their COVID-19 vaccine for individuals in the 12-15 age range. The FDA has yet to approve the plan, but it is possible that the vaccine could begin distribution in mid to late summer. This would mean that any current or rising Freshman would be eligible. 

“The best plan for next school year is to follow CDC guidelines based on community spread, number of variants and cases at school to keep both students and staff safe. Decisions should be science-backed and strictly enforced and followed. There should also be clear, honest communication protocols followed and transparency between the school and the community,” Sagerer says. 

Leading by example is a positive way to help make the school environment safer for everyone. Students should be sure to follow mask procedures, abide by social distancing regulations and get themselves vaccinated if the option is available. 

Hopefully, the new vaccine rollout procedures will help Pennsylvania, and the country as a whole, begin to return to normal.