Trinity students recognized for art, writing achievements

Junior+Lexi+Koffler+was+awarded+a+Gold+Key+award+for+this+image%2C+which+she+took+of+her+younger+sister+during+a+photo+shoot.+

Image courtesy of Alexandra Koffler

Junior Lexi Koffler was awarded a Gold Key award for this image, which she took of her younger sister during a photo shoot.

Recently, Trinity students entered creative works into the Regional 2021 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, and the results are in. Trinity High School students in grades 9-12 were acknowledged for their efforts in various forms of art and writing by this prestigious organization.

Junior Emily Ewbank was awarded several merits for her entries in the poetry category of the writing competition. Senior Emma Malinak also received two merits and two Silver Keys for poetry. 

Additionally, Malinak was awarded a Gold Key and American Voice (A.V.)  nomination for her entry titled, “Little Things.” The Gold Key status of this entry automatically advances it to be adjudicated at the national level. Sophomore Riley Dunn was also awarded a Gold Key and A.V. nomination for her science fiction/fantasy short story, “The Girl at Ellory Lake.” Both Malinak and Dunn will read excerpts from their pieces at the virtual awards ceremony on March 21.

Freshman Nathan Sander received two Silver Keys and an honorable mention in the Photography portion of the Art Competition. 

Sander noted he found inspiration for his photos in the world and people around him: “I wanted to tell a story within my photographs. For example, [my photograph] ‘Blooming’ shows flowers blooming in the summer, which is my favorite season… My favorite photo, ‘Goodnight,’ shows the sunset in the park, which is [at] my favorite part of the day.”

Sophomores Rayne Elling and Emma Riddell and Junior Rachel Chase were each awarded Honorable Mentions for their respective entries in film and animation, mixed media and photography.

Junior Lexi Koffler was also acknowledged for her work in the popular Photography category, earning two Honorable Mentions and a separate Gold Key award for a photograph titled “the white of her eye” which will advance to the national level. 

Koffler said, “Personally, I really love all aspects of light and the manipulation of other objects using light, so this was a perfect picture for me to express my interests… I feel like my photography has become more mature over time, and I am really happy with my developed style.”

The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards are a fantastic way for students to express their creativity in all manners of art and writing. Congratulations to all those recognized in this year’s competition, and good luck to those advancing to the national level!