Class of 2020 prepares to graduate

Olympus

In November of 2019, the Class of 2020 stood together to take the traditional senior class photo for the yearbook.

Despite the coronavirus pandemic, Trinity is still trying to find a special way to honor this year’s graduating seniors. Especially in these uncertain times, it is important to make sure every senior receives individual recognition and that the whole senior class is recognized together. Graduation will take place on June 12 at the high school.

High School Principal Mr. Uram explained that it was important to keep the same date because “There are students going into the military or starting out in career paths, so it is important to be fair to them and their timeline, too.”

Per Pennsylvania Governor Wolf’s guidelines, gatherings of 25 or more people are currently prohibited in Washington County, so typical graduation ceremonies cannot be held. 

The decision to hold a graduation ceremony given the current circumstances was not one that came without careful thought. Other schools, such as Beth Center, are holding their graduation ceremonies in creative ways. Beth Center will hold their graduation ceremony at a nearby drive in movie theater.  Peters Township High School is holding a virtual ceremony and planning a later summer ceremony.  Uram expressed that the administration is hoping to hold a traditional graduation ceremony on campus later in the summer that will be accessible to every Trinity family.   The class of 2020 has 232 graduating seniors and an estimated five valedictorians. 

Usually, the valedictorians, senior class president, Mr. Uram, and Dr. Lucas all speak at graduation. Most likely, they will still speak in some way during this year’s ceremony. 

But, other activities have already been done to acknowledge the seniors. On April 27, a light up night in honor of the seniors was held around the district. Students and families decorated their homes in honor of the seniors. The night included signs for each senior, which were provided by the school. Overall, it was a successful evening to recognize all of the seniors. 

Additionally, Trinity recognizes seniors on the high school Twitter page, the online morning announcements, and The Hiller newspaper.

Uram concluded with, “even though we aren’t in school, you will always be the class of 2020, and your resiliency has been amazing.” 

Good luck to the class of 2020, and happy graduation!