To the Class of 2024

“Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.” -Minor Myers, Jr.
Photo courtesy of the Yearbook Staff.

Well, this is it. High school is officially over. I thought that I would be a lot more excited when this day came-13 years of early mornings, last-minute homework and state-mandated tests. Now that graduation is on the horizon, I am realizing that all those little moments we took for granted were some of the most memorable ones. 

From our first day of freshman year to the last day of senior year, every day has been filled with small, seemingly insignificant clips of memories that have culminated to this point to create our high school experience. 

A few days ago, we were still in high school, completing miscellaneous assignments, having lunch with our friends and attending various school sporting events. Now the time is ticking for graduation, for a “taste of the real world,” as adults love to call it. I honestly have never particularly loved that phrase. I personally believe that not only have we tasted the real world, but we also live it every day. Every single time we walk out of our homes or go on social media, we get the “real world” thrown at us. 

Growing up has taught us that the world can get ugly and that people are not always good. I believe that the media has forced us to grow up faster than we were meant to. We have been exposed to the ugliness of the world earlier than anticipated. I believe that because of the generation we were born into, we have an amazing opportunity. We have the chance to make change in the world because we know the repercussions of negativity and the pain that it brings. 

As the Class of 2024, we have two options. We can either leave this school behind and go out and be part of the problem in society, or we can be the solution. Although it seems cliche, the world really does need our kindness. In just a few days, we will be full-official adults. This year, most of us can vote and help make changes that will affect our lives. We need to stand up for what we know is right and take care of the people around us. 

The world is about to be placed in the hands of our generation, and when that happens, I hope that we will rise to the occasion, improve society and make the world better for everyone. 

Up to this point, our entire lives have been pretty structured and ordinary. We have had the same desks, the same loud bells, the same familiar faces, and all at once that normalcy that we have lived in for all these years will cease to exist. Before we know it, we will be off our own, making different decisions and going down different paths. This change seems sudden and, in some ways, scary. 

No matter what you plan to do, change is hard, but I also believe that change can be beautiful. These next few years will bring new friendships, relationships and experiences. We will begin to learn who we are as people and what we want to do for the rest of our lives. We will learn who those real friends are and who we can trust. Life will throw curve balls at us, and we will now be in control of how we handle them. Our views on the world will no longer be our parents’; we will have to formulate our own opinions and develop our own outlook on the world. 

Yet, I don’t doubt that our class is capable of handling adulthood. I believe that our class has shown strength unlike any other. When we entered high school, we had no idea what we were walking into. Our first day of high school consisted of masks and separated desks. We walked in, terrified for what awaited us on the other side of the high school doors. It seems ironic that now, four years later, we are standing again, terrified at what will be on the other side of that door, but this time we are looking out, not in. 

But in the wise words of Taylor Swift, “Everything you lose is a step you take. So make the friendship bracelets; take the moment and taste it; you’ve got no reason to be afraid.” 

As you say goodbye to your friends, teachers and those amazing school cookies, take comfort in the fact that our class has left a lasting impact on this school and the community. I encourage you to continue to invest in the lives of people you care for and to continue to make a difference in the world. Look forward to what the future holds without forgetting your past. 

Class of 2024, I wish you the absolute best in your lives to come. I have no doubt that you will continue to shine, both socially and academically. 

That being said, I present The Hiller’s 2024 Senior Issue, returning in print for the second year! I am so proud of this paper because the contents are amazing and the girls who wrote these articles are even better. I also wanted to give a huge shout out to the Journalism 1 students who helped us write some of the articles this year; they did an incredible job. Without further ado, please enjoy reading the Class of 2024 edition of The Hiller, where you will read about our amazing students and all that they have accomplished and hope to accomplish in their future endeavors.