Trinity girls basketball shoot toward WPIAL title

Photo courtesy of Riley Corrins.
The girls pose on Senior Night for a team picture before their game. The girls beat South Fayette with a score of 52-46. Great season, girls!

This year, the girl’s basketball team is “shooting” toward big accomplishments, titles and a successful season. 

Approaching the end of their season, the girl’s team has a record of 17-5 overall and 8-2 in their section. The team just won the game against one of their biggest rivals, Lincoln Park, with a score of 32-29, securing themselves with a share of the section title. Going into the playoffs, the girls have been placed in the 3rd seed and will be playing the 14th seed, Woodland Hills at home on Tuesday, February 20. 

When it comes to practice, the team surely goes all out. At practice, whether it is in the high school gym or at the new athletic building, the team spends time doing combos, skill work, full-court drills, shooting and game prep. Practicing six days a week, Monday-Saturday, the girls put in extra time perfecting their skills, and as the season progresses, their hard work does not go unseen. 

This year, the girls set team goals such as beating their biggest rivals, South Fayette and Lincoln Park. The team won against South Fayette both times they played, lost to Lincoln Park in overtime the first time and won the second time. Collectively this year, the team’s goal is to be WPIAL and PIAA champions. 

For some, this season is the last. Coach Mrs. McConnell commented on each senior’s dedication to the team this season. Ruby Morgan is the leading scorer at 38% from the 3-point line, Maddy Roberts is the team’s leading rebounder and Agatha Niccolai has an exceptional assist-to-turnover ratio. Along with them, Riley Corrins is one of the best 6th men who hits tough shots. Senior Macie Justice just returned from an injury this season, and as McConnell stated, she returned, “stronger than ever.”

McConnell commented, “I want all of the seniors to enjoy all of the hard work they have put in and all of the chemistry they devloped these past four years. I want them to take it all in and celebrate this season.”

Along with the seniors, McConnell also added an honorable mention for freshman Sutton Williamson for giving some good minutes as well as Junior Sam Horne for being the glue of the defense and cleaning up any mistakes the team makes. 

Niccolai and Corrins urge next year’s seniors to enjoy the season and take it all in because it all flies by in the blink of an eye. 

Corrins says, “Don’t take the season for granted,” and Niccolai comments, “I would tell next year seniors to take time and reflect. It all goes by so fast.”

Make sure to keep up with the girl’s games and support the team during the playoffs! Great job this season, girls. Keep up the hard work!