WWCD?

Photo courtesy of Lisa Bouman
Making memories and reminiscing on them is a great way to remember your loved ones that have passed on. Keep in mind that feelings of sadness and happiness can coexist even though it may feel confusing.

The holidays can be some of the most joyous times of the year, but they can also be some of the saddest. For many, family gatherings are a time to think about all the people you have, but for others they are a time where you are forced to think about who you’ve lost. For those who have experienced the loss of a loved one, this time of year can be particularly challenging. Dealing with family loss during the holidays requires a balance of acknowledging grief while finding ways to honor and remember our loved ones.

During the holidays, consider creating new traditions to honor the memory of your loved one. Lighting a candle in their honor, setting a place at the table or sharing stories and memories can provide a sense of connection and comfort. By incorporating these rituals into your holiday celebrations, you can keep the spirit of your loved one alive and create new memories that blend the past with the present. 

Grief can be lonely, especially during a time when everyone else seems to be filled with holiday cheer. It is important to communicate your feelings openly with family and friends. Share your emotions, fears and anxieties with loved ones who can provide support and understanding. 

By expressing your sadness, you allow others to empathize and offer comfort. Remember, it’s okay to feel a mix of emotions during this time by sharing your experiences you may find relief in knowing you are not alone. I have also been through holidays that are tough because of loss, but chances are, other family members are feeling the exact same way and it’s good to talk about your grief with others experiencing it.

Dealing with family loss during the holidays can be overwhelming, and it’s crucial to lean on your support systems.

Reach out to friends, family, or support groups who have experienced similar losses. Connecting with others who understand your pain can provide a sense of validation and comfort. Additionally, consider seeking professional help from therapists or grief counselors. They can provide guidance and tools to explore the complex emotions that arise during the holiday season.

My last advice is to remember that the people that we’ve lost don’t want us to be sad but instead enjoy the holidays and cherish this time with family members and friends. Remember that it’s okay to have mixed emotions during the holiday season.  Dealing with family loss during the holidays is a challenging journey for many, but it is possible to find beauty and strength in the grief. 

By honoring our loved ones and cherishing the memories we shared, we can find healing and create new traditions that honor their legacy.