Schwab: History teacher or jack of all trades?

Photo courtesy of Cadi Wright
Schwab teaches American history and AP Economics in room 281. Be sure to pay him a visit!

American history teacher at Trinity High School, Mr. Schwab, has had approximately 25 different jobs in his lifetime. Some were weird and unique but all were the building blocks of his character. His experiences within his jobs have given him many lessons people can learn from him and many stories to tell.

Schwab has had many opportunities and positions within his world of careers. He has worked at a psychiatric hospital, substituted at Norwin, coached five different sports and worked as a roofer and general contractor, to name a few. He also performed a 24-hour security job at Heinz Field. 

Out of all of his experiences in the job world, he will always remember his favorite crazy moment. When Schwab was 15 he started working at Kennywood Park. He primarily worked with the games, being a manager for the arcade and a supervisor for the game warehouses. 

He caught one co-worker, a 90-year-old female, stealing from the park, so he got her arrested and escorted out of the park in handcuffs. He had quite a good laugh when telling his story.

From all of Schwab’s experiences, it would be expected that he would have advice for those who want to enter the workforce.  

For a high school student, Schwab would recommend working at Kennywood Park.  He mentioned that it was a fun experience and that it was pretty easy, which is probably something most students would love in a job.

Some jobs he wouldn’t recommend would be working with food or in customer service.

Schwab said, “Don’t work with food. Customers can be rude and disrespectful, but don’t let it get to you.”

Schwab continues to go by lessons he has learned in prior jobs.  He knows that hard work pays off, and if hard work is put in, there will definitely be a reward. He also believes that it is important to be willing to learn new lessons and be open-minded. If someone closes themselves off from learning new things and having new experiences, they may not be able to make the necessary changes to be a better version of themselves. 

A student of Mr. Schwab’s, Senior Evelyn Hall, believes that his prior job experience reflects on his teaching and him as a person. His job experience helps him to be well-adapted to situations that come his way, especially with students. 

Hall says that Schwab teaches well and is exceptionally good at preparing kids for the real world.

Surprisingly, Schwab says that he doesn’t have a favorite job, but everyone at Trinity knows that he clearly loves teaching the most!